Here’s my list of recommended Broadway and off-Broadway shows, updated each Thursday. In all cases, I either gave these shows strongly favorable reviews in The Wall Street Journal when they opened or saw and liked them some time in the past year (or both). For more information, click on the title.
Warning: Broadway shows marked with an asterisk were sold out, or nearly so, last week.
– Avenue Q (musical, R, adult subject matter, strong language, one show-stopping scene of puppet-on-puppet sex, reviewed here)
– Chicago* (musical, R, adult subject matter, sexual content, fairly strong language)
– Dirty Rotten Scoundrels* (musical, R, extremely vulgar, reviewed here)
– Doubt* (drama, PG-13, adult subject matter, implicit sexual content, reviewed here)
– Fiddler on the Roof (musical, G, one scene of mild violence but otherwise family-friendly, reviewed here)
– The Light in the Piazza (musical, PG-13, adult subject matter and a brief bedroom scene, reviewed here)
– Sweet Charity (musical, PG-13, lots of cutesy-pie sexual content, reviewed here)
– The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (musical, PG-13, mostly family-friendly but contains a smattering of strong language and a production number about an unwanted erection, reviewed here)
CLOSING SOON OFF BROADWAY:
– The Caterers (drama, R, violence, strong language, and explicit sexual situations, reviewed here, closes Oct. 30)
– Sides: The Fear Is Real… (sketch comedy, PG, some strong language, reviewed here, closes Oct. 30)