Reporting to the Director of Marketing, Communications and Sales, the key responsibility for this position is the creation and execution of a media relations program for the Festival to publicize The Shaw as a premiere theatre destination to international and domestic theatre critics, travel writers, bloggers and lifestyle media.
The successful candidate will also serve as an official spokesperson for the Shaw with the media; provide communication counsel to senior management; help to enhance the company’s success by applying proactive and reactive communications strategies, including crisis management if necessary; plan and execute press outreach, media events, media FAMS, media calls and photo opportunities; develop press materials for openings and the annual AGM; create unique and compelling story pitches that differentiate The Shaw from its competition; research, write and distribute press releases to targeted media; liaise with colleagues and key spokespeople and liaise with and answer inquiries from media.
The individual we are looking for will understand how successful and comprehensive PR programs align with and support both the company’s marketing programs and The Shaw’s strategic plan in the broadest sense.
S/he will be expert in the use of contemporary communication tools and practices to reinforce both the visitor experience and the company’s reputation. The position is located in the beautiful town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Work with Departmental Director of Marketing,
Communications and Sales, to develop and
execute a proactive Media Relations plan and
key messages to promote The Shaw Festival
throughout North America
• Acts as first point of contact for all media
requests and manage all responses, coordinate
media interviews and ensure the necessary
• Responsible for managing all aspects of media
announcements, including development of
announcement strategy, preparation of all media
materials, coordination of event logistics and all
follow up activity
• Work closely with The Shaw leadership, creative
teams and acting ensemble Provide guidance
and support to media relations co-ordinator
• Ensure the company protects and promotes its \
image in a proper, coordinated, and consistent
• Act as a media spokesperson on behalf of the
company and address questions and complaints.
• Plan and oversee press events.
• Manage annual media relations and project
• Develop and implement creative, fresh ideas that
will move the brand and company forward
• Host media and influencers at strategic events
and activities build relationships with key connections
including theatre critics, arts and culture
journalists, travel and leisure journalists, and
• Post secondary education in Journalism, Media
Relations or Communications
• A minimum of 5 – 7 years of related media and
public relations experience preferably in an arts &
• Proven superior writing, editing and
• Demonstrated expertise in media relations and
communications practices particularly in the
areas of strategic communications, media
relations, special events management and issues
• An established network of media contacts both in
the arts and culture and travel and leisure sectors
• Proven experience with Mac and Microsoft
Office, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, View
Media Pro (or similar software) Tessitura,
WordPress, PR Web’s on line distribution
services Cision and BurellesLuce web-based
• Demonstrated project management skills, with
the ability to co-ordinate a number of complex
projects under pressure, meeting schedule and
• A working knowledge of the Canadian Theatre
Agreement (CTA) would be an asset
• A valid driver’s licence and passport are essential.
This is a full-time position offering a competitive
salary and benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume as a single pdf prior to October 10, 2014 to:
Director, Human Resources email@example.com
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.