Since its opening season in 1997, the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) in Newark has attracted more than 9 million patrons, plus 1 million children. The Arts Center’s array of 400 unique events each season serves New Jersey’s rich diversity of nationalities and ethnicities. Performers who have appeared recently in the acoustically superb, 2,800-seat Prudential Hall include Joshua Bell, El Gran Combo, Aretha Franklin, Audra McDonald, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Bonnie Raitt, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Stephen Colbert in conversation with Steve Carell, and Earth, Wind & Fire, among many others.
Each season, NJPAC’s Arts Education Department – one of the top three largest at performing arts centers throughout the country – engages more than 60,000 public school children via arts learning initiatives in schools, in NJPAC conservatory, and on its stages. The Arts Center has established itself as a home for broadcast by networks including BET, HBO, Comedy Central, PBS and NBC. NJPAC provides regular forums for convening New Jersey’s citizenry to discuss significant issues of the day and “symbolizes Newark’s cultural renaissance” (Forbes magazine).
The pioneering role NJPAC has taken in the redevelopment of the city’s downtown will be evidenced by the upcoming groundbreaking for One Theater Square – a 21-story, mixed-use residential building – and a hotel/conference center, both on its campus.
We are presently recruiting for a Senior Director, Public & Media Relations.
New Jersey Performing Arts Center is seeking a strategic senior public relations and communications professional to oversee the continued development and active management of the company’s public relations and communications efforts. The Senior Director of Public Relations will be responsible for leading, driving and implementing all public relations efforts and communications for NJPAC, which include but are not limited to the Arts Education Programs, Development, Programming, Community Engagement, Real Estate Development and overall branding of the institution. The primary objectives for this individual will be to narrate the brand, protect NJPAC’s reputation and raise awareness of the company’s unique program offerings. This person will work closely with members of the Senior Management Team, as well as external public relations consultant focused on specific performances, diverse markets and crisis communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively manage the Public Relations Team comprised of one staff person and several public relations consultants; work with this team of professionals to drive a robust, compelling and consistent narrative about NJPAC for internal and external audiences across various industry segments utilizing traditional and new media outlets.
- Develop and take ownership of implementing and driving a comprehensive public relations vision and strategy for NJPAC with targeted programs designed to advance the organizations brand identity and ensure consistency in messaging.
- Write and shape the narrative for dynamic and robust press releases, pitches, briefings and speeches that attract media attention and initiate interest in NJPAC’s unique programming and diverse business portfolio by major publications, editors, key reporters, bloggers, high-profile influencers and other key stakeholders.
- Cultivate, nurture and expand NJPAC relationships with national, regional, local, ethnic and fringe media outlets, including but not limited to bloggers, producers, etc.
- Identify and assess relevant media issues, news and events by proactively monitoring industry and market-related news and events calendars; implement actionable public relations plans to capitalize on “real-time” opportunities that drive and support NJPAC’s vision, message and brand.
- Analyze media coverage and develop effective tracking, reporting and communications vehicles to inform NJPAC management of issues, news and events that impact the company and performing arts community.
- Partner with CEO, designated senior leaders and external PR professionals to proactively respond to and manage internal and external business crises.
- Serve as a key NJPAC spokesperson and primary, dedicated liaison between NJPAC and members of the media, ensuring timely and responsive communications that assert NJPAC’s position as one of the leading arts centers in the country.
- Proactively facilitate all media interviews; provide timely preparation training, advice and hands-on support to designated senior leaders for a variety of public appearances, events and activities.
- Identify viable speaking opportunities and assess incoming speaker requests for NJPAC’s senior leaders and staff at various conferences, seminars and events. Provide appropriate guidance and scripts for staff to ensure that the organization’s credibility and visibility on these platforms are positively enhanced.
- Approve and arrange all NJPAC photo and video shoots; approve all digital asset usage and maintain usage guidelines and archives.
- Oversee and manage additional responsibilities, as needed.
Qualifications and Special Requirements:
- Bachelor degree required; advanced degree in PR, Communications or related field a plus
- 10+ years of public relations and/or communications experience within high-profile companies, media organizations and/or the arts industry
- Strong knowledge and passion for culture and the arts
- Proven public relations/communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy and media relations
- Expert writing skills and a proven track record of creating impactful press releases, speeches, editorials, briefings and other written content
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships of trust and confidence with experienced senior leaders in a high-performing business environment
- Solid and recognized relationships with a variety of NJ and NY reporters, editors, bloggers, media influencers and multicultural media sources
- Proven media relations skills and a well-developed network of relationships with top-tier traditional and social media resources in the regional, national and local media markets
- Proactive, strategic and hands-on public relations background with a solid track record of successfully and consistently positioning a company in key media, using innovative and creative techniques to achieve tangible results
- Keen understanding of the digital and new media landscapes; able to keep pace with evolving and rapid changes in technologies that advance public relations and communications messaging across various platforms
- Experience managing a team comprised of one staff person and several public relations consultants with various areas of expertise
- Strong prioritization and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to quickly and effectively adapt to internal and external change
- Collaborative and team-based management style; energized by an open exchange of ideas
No phone calls please. Please e-mail résumé, cover letter, salary history, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to note the job title in the subject line of your e-mail).
Applications without a cover letter, writing sample, and salary history will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in working for NJPAC. Once submitted, your résumé will be reviewed, and if your background fits our needs, someone from our office will contact you for an interview.
NJPAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer