LOCATION Toronto, ON
REPORTS TO The Board of Directors
DIRECT REPORTS Artistic Director; VP, Advancement; Executive Producer; VP, Finance & Administration
Luminato Festival is Toronto’s international multi-arts festival reaching more than 700,000 attendees in 2014. For 10 days each June, Luminato Festival transforms Toronto’s theatres, parks and public spaces into 268 events many of which are free, at 30 venues across the city. Last year Luminato showcased 1,336 participating artists (77% Canadian artists, 305 international artists from 20 countries) celebrating theatre, dance, music, literature, food, visual arts, magic, film, and more. In the last eight years, Luminato has become one of the preeminent arts festivals in North America, having commissioned over 66 new works of art, and featured 7,500 artists from 40 countries.
The Luminato Festival is for people open to having art change their outlook on the world. It embraces all fields of creativity and encourages cross disciplinary collaboration and creation among leading artists and inspired thinkers of all kinds to transform Toronto, create a culture that is accessible to all people and impact Canadian and global arts.
Luminato reflects artistic collaboration, bringing together local, national and international artists from different genres, disciplines and cultures to originate new and unprecedented creative expressions. Luminato embraces and celebrates Toronto’s diversity, and recognizes that creativity flourishes when cultures join together in a spirit of exchange and respect. Luminato’s hallmarks include widely accessible events – inviting Festival-goers to participate, explore, and celebrate their own creative spirit.
Luminato is an international arts festival rooted in the city of Toronto. Internationally it has global relationships, engages in contractual negotiations with artists and impresarios, and has the enhancement of Toronto’s global reputation as part of its founding mandate. Government funding of Luminato has been possible because of Luminato’s economic impact which is highly correlated to tourism.
At the same time the festival is rooted in the city of Toronto and all of its private sector funding, the great majority of its audiences and ticket sales, most of the media, and many of its artistic and production partners are local.
The CEO of Luminato must balance the international ambitions and reputation building of Luminato with deepening local and national relationships. Approximately half of the festival’s artistic program is international, and the balance is split between local and national programming.
Luminato has had the benefit of generous start-up government funding to establish the festival in its first eight years. Going forward, governments are expected to continue to support Luminato, but corporate sponsors, donors, ticket sales and other private sector sources of revenue need to become a greater part of its revenue base. A priority is to deepen these relationships and to further develop Luminato as a much-loved organization that survives and thrives based on the loyalty and enthusiasm of its supporters and audiences. The CEO will benefit from the fiscal responsibility of Luminato to date and a wide range of private sector support already established. The Luminato Festival operates with no deficit, on a $10-12M budget, has no debt and employs 23 permanent staff (35 seasonal/part-time/contract staff).
As CEO of Luminato you will inspire the Board, staff, the arts community, the City of Toronto, and visitors by leading the Festival to even greater prominence as one of the world’s most respected leading arts festivals.
Your inspired leadership will ensure that Luminato continues to present innovative artistic programming excellence to attract a diverse and expanding audience, and has the financial and operational capacity to fully support its mission today and into the future. You are a visionary who will shape the overall strategic direction for Luminato while working in close partnership with a dedicated Board and staff.
While strengthening and growing the Luminato Festival’s importance to the City of Toronto, you are driven to establish it as one of the most well known and admired arts festivals on the International calendar.
- Develop and implement strategic plans as well as operational plans and budgets, in collaboration with the Board of Directors and the executive team.
- Provide excellent financial management ensuring the continuation of fiscal responsibility and sustainability going forward; oversee the development of financial and management reports to support informed and robust Board and executive decision making.
- Be entrepreneurial and diligent in the development of a fundraising strategy.
- Manage and maintain excellent relations with the Board of Directors to facilitate effective governance.
- Ensure that Luminato continues to present innovative programming of the highest quality, balancing artistic integrity with fiscal responsibility.
- Manage and mentor the Executive Team to develop and achieve operational and individual goals.
- Represent and advocate for Luminato at the highest levels, locally, nationally and internationally.
- Lead the Festival’s relationship with public sector funding agencies; be an industry leader in promoting the interests of arts and tourism in Canada.
- Provide fundraising leadership to ensure that funds from both the private sector and the public sector are obtained to support the strategic and operational goals of the Festival.
- Acquire sponsors for the Festival with terms of agreement that are favorable to Luminato; continue to build the relationships and ensure excellent stewardship for all sponsors and donors.
- Continue to clarify and build Luminato’s mission and brand locally, nationally and internationally; develop outstanding and effective marketing strategies to potential audiences.
- Further develop and deepen relationships and collaboration with arts organizations locally, as well as nationally and internationally.
- Strengthen the connection between the communities of Toronto and the Luminato Festival resulting in a greater civic engagement and enriching the City of Toronto as a whole.
- Excellent fundraising skills and a proven track record of successful fundraising with both sponsors and individuals and a proven ability to work with Government to secure funding and support; politically savvy.
- A minimum of ten years of senior leadership experience, with a track record of success leading a complex organization with a wide range of stakeholders, in an institution or company known for quality and excellence.
- Deep understanding of, and appreciation for, arts and culture, both locally and internationally. Multi-disciplinary experience and credibility in the arts and cultural world.
- An impeccable reputation for integrity, and widely recognized for strong, creative leadership.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; decisive, confident, humane.
- Inclusive, generous, cultivates effective relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders (corporate sponsors, donors, governments, audiences, Toronto arts community, national and international arts community, media).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with outstanding social skills.
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and execute.
- Demonstrated understanding of branding, marketing and sales, including digital technology-based marketing.
- Understanding of digital interactive technology for use in audience engagement.
- A self-starter undaunted by a lean institution; an entrepreneurial spirit; a track record of coalescing others around objectives and their successful implementation.
- Ability to mentor the next level of leadership.
- A university or post-graduate degree.
A competitive compensation package including base salary, bonus and benefits will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by email with your cover letter and resume to no later than Monday, March 9, 2015
Send to Searchlight Recruitment Inc.: firstname.lastname@example.org
Luminato is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.