Here’s my list of recommended Broadway, off-Broadway, and out-of-town shows, updated weekly. In all cases, I gave these shows favorable reviews (if sometimes qualifiedly so) in The Wall Street Journal when they opened. For more information, click on the title.
• Annie (musical, G, closing Jan. 5, reviewed here)
• Matilda (musical, G, nearly all performances sold out last week, reviewed here)
• Once (musical, G/PG-13, reviewed here)
• The Winslow Boy (drama, G, too complicated for children, reviewed here)
• Avenue Q (musical, R, adult subject matter and one show-stopping scene of puppet-on-puppet sex, reviewed here)
• The Fantasticks (musical, G, suitable for children capable of enjoying a love story, reviewed here)