Here’s my life in a nutshell:
– On Wednesday night I was in Madison, dining with the divine Ms. Althouse (who is not only great fun but knows how to pick a good restaurant) and watching a preview of Madison Repertory Theatre‘s production of Rembrandt’s Gift, a new play by Tina Howe.
– I got up this morning, checked my e-mail and the “About Last Night” referral log, and discovered that a blogger I’d never heard of has been reading my Wisconsin postings and thinks they’re “vapid and cloyingly precious,” not to mention “lower-middlebrow.” Interested in knowing exactly what sort of writing the blogger in question thought was worth reading, I spent a few minutes looking over the self-written “serialized blog novels” he’d posted elsewhere on his site, an experience I commend to all connoisseurs of unpublished fiction.
– I spent the next couple of hours driving around Madison in search of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, of which I found several. Then I headed back to Spring Green, checked into the same motel I occupied two nights ago, and took a well-deserved nap.
– This evening I went to see American Players Theatre‘s production of Ferenc Molnar’s The Play’s the Thing, performed in an English-language version by none other than P.G. Wodehouse.
– On Saturday it’s back to Spring Green for performances of Macbeth in the afternoon and Candida in the evening.
– On Sunday I’ll be seeing one last play, Tartuffe, then spending the night in another Wright house, the Seth Peterson Cottage.
Forgive my terseness, but I really did just get back from the theater and am longing to shed my clothes and crawl into bed! You won’t be hearing from me again until Monday, and by now I expect you can see why. I’m still having fun yet, but I’ll be more than ready to head for home come Monday afternoon. I’ll post that day and possibly on Tuesday as well, but I’ll definitely be taking Wednesday and Thursday off, about which more later. For now, have a nice weekend.
(By the way, I’m not in today’s Wall Street Journal, which is why there’s no drama-column teaser this week. I’ll be back at the same old stand as usual next Friday.)