Here’s my list of recommended Broadway and off-Broadway shows, updated each Thursday. In all cases, I either gave these shows strongly favorable reviews in The Wall Street Journal when they opened or saw and liked them some time in the past year (or both). For more information, click on the title.
Warning: Broadway shows marked with an asterisk were sold out, or nearly so, last week.
– Avenue Q* (musical, R, adult subject matter, strong language, one show-stopping scene of puppet-on-puppet sex)
– Chicago (musical, R, adult subject matter, sexual content, fairly strong language)
– Doubt (drama, PG-13, adult subject matter, implicit sexual content)
– Fiddler on the Roof (musical, G, one scene of mild violence but otherwise family-friendly)
– The Light in the Piazza (musical, PG-13, adult subject matter and a brief bedroom scene)
– Sweet Charity (musical, PG-13, lots of cutesy-pie sexual content)
– The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee* (musical, PG-13, mostly family-friendly but contains a smattering of strong language and a production number about an unwanted erection)
– Orson’s Shadow (drama, PG-13, adult subject matter, very strong language)
– Philadelphia, Here I Come! (drama, PG, closes Sept. 25)
– Sides: The Fear Is Real… (sketch comedy, PG, some implicit sexual content)
– Slava’s Snowshow (performance art, G, child-friendly)
– Glengarry Glen Ross (drama, R, adult subject matter, copious quantities of spectacularly strong language, closes Sunday)