No Christmas Is Complete Without Bird

Charlie Parker ca 1950 SmallSixty-five years ago today in the early hours of the morning, Charlie Parker and his quintet were close to wrapping up their broadcast from the Royal Roost in New York City when someone requested a Christmas song. Parker obliged.

Christmas 1948 with Charlie Parker, Kenny Dorham, Al Haig, Tommy Potter and Max Roach. I hope that your Christmas 2013 has been equally merry.

Comments

1. Valerie Bishop says

You are so correct, Doug; no Xmas is complete without Bird!! And we’re not talking about turkey!! LOL!! Thank you so much for this post and ALL your posts throughout the year.

• Evette Dorham says

Thanks Valerie Bishop and Terence Smith! Thanks to Doug Ramsey as well for the article and remembering “White Christmas”.

2. Terence Smith says

Merry Christmas in flight, and such a blessing that it was caught on tape.

As we enjoy Kenny Dorham’s contribution to Bird’s “White Christmas”, may I point out that KD’s long unavailable (I think) 1960 LP, Jazz Contemporary, is on CD. This is the Kenny Dorham Quintet LP that featured Charles Davis, Steve Kuhn, Butch Warren/or Jimmy Garrison and Buddy Enlow. Great Christmas present for me this year!

Just as the LP wore out, Jazz Pilot Records reissues Jazz Contemporary and includes an entire KD quintet LP I had never heard of, Jerome Kern’s Showboat. These are not to be missed.

Bird Lives, and his gifts are 365 days a year.

• Doug Ramsey says

Dorham’s Jazz Contemporary and Showboat were LPs on the defunct TIME label. Both were reissued on CD in 1980 by Bainbridge. Evidently, Jazz Pilot is a European company taking advantage of Europe’s 50-year copyright expiration law.

3. Mark Mohr says

Thanks for posting this great tune! The more time that passes and the more jazz stars we seem to lose every day, the more grateful I am for wonderful blogs like Rifftides. I honestly think that since I’ve been paying attention to your posts, I’ve become a more educated jazz listener.

This is funky Bird, playing a very unusual arrangement, considered bebop being unison lines mostly. — Brew’s service for the completists: The entire broadcast (and more) could be enjoyed here.