Gerry Mulligan, 1926-1997

Rifftides reader Don Emanuel scanned this listing in the “What’s On” section of a recent edition of his local newspaper, The Medway Messenger in Kent, UK.

Related

Comments

1. Don Emanuel says

I can assure readers that this was a genuine news item written by the newspaper.

They unfortunately have a habit of not actually reading what we tell them about future gigs.

I suspect that the Folkstone Jazz Club is very pissed off.

• says

No prank, absolutely! – It’s like the “live”-tour with Elvis in the early 2000s (or was it the late 1990s?): There will be a big screen, and the orchestra will be grouped around the concert video from Newport 1958, and from other films where Gerry and his cohorts can be seen.

There’s a tour planned in Germany too. Ja, ja! — All true!

P.S. — The motto of the tour will be:

I WANT TO LIVE — THE GERRY MULLIGAN MEMORIAL TOUR, featuring Chet Baker, Art Farmer & Bob Brookmeyer.

Of the various responses, expressing wonderment, anger, amusement, etc. at the inexplicable notice about Mulligan’s ghost appearance, Brewsk had the best one: ” I Want to Live – The Gerry Mulligan Memorial Tour, featuring Chet Baker, Art Farmer and Bob Brookmeyer.”.

Shouldn’t Shelly Manne be an added starter? And Red Mitchell? If I still had the LP of that movie soundtrack, I could probably fill in more Ghosts of Honor. But off the top of my bald head, I seem to remember Bud Shank worked on that project as did, I believe, Frank Rosolino. Of course, the last time I looked, Johnny Mandel is still with us.

Not a marvelous movie, but you couldn’t beat the music.

• Terence Smith says

John, I saw the movie many many years ago, specifically because I’d heard about the musicians featured. I think I remember that you could see and hear PETE JOLLY playing hip piano behind Mulligan and I think Art Farmer, on stage in a night club scene. The movie cut off the music way too soon, then back to an extremely morbid plot I believe–

Hoping for more good fortune, today’s lesson is: Make sure your message is clear. My best wishes for it anyway, good idea, and John Birchard has it right, get Cerra in on the planning.

• says

The movie is a painfully realistic, a very critical treatise on the questionable praxis of death penalty in the US, and there are two soundtrack LPs (both are must-have’s IMHO), one with the small band, which can be seen briefly in the film, and the other with Johnny Mandel’s superb big band score, respectively the actual soundtrack.

Some of the small band parts can be heard on a portable radio, and Susan Hayward mentions Gerry in this particular scene.

Here are both LP’s compiled on one CD.

4. Tim Blangger says

These mistakes do happen. An overworked, overstressed clerk at a newspaper I once worked for listed Charlie Parker as the leader of a quartet that was to play soon — the saxophonist was actually Lee Konitz. When I told Lee about the mistake, he thought it was a hoot and asked if he could get a copy of he listing….. Apparently, someone in a press release had mentioned that Lee was influenced by Parker. More recently, I saw a listing in a jazz e-mail of local events that Ralph Burns was performing in a small club outside Philadelphia. So it goes. Jazz lives on, eh?