Upcoming Appearances

This Sunday at 4:30 I’m giving a lecture on Morton Feldman as part of American Sublime, Bowerbird’s two-weekend tribute to Feldman with performances of several of his most important late works. I come at the end of an all-afternoon series of talks by Feldman experts, of whom I am probably the least knowledgeable – and I know a few things. That event is at Nexus at CraneArts, 1400 N American Street in Philadelphia.

Later in the month, the West End String Quartet will be giving four performances of my Concord Spiral in four cities over two weekends, presented by Rhymes with Opera. The dates and venues are as follows:

Friday, June 17 at 7: Café Orwell, 247 Varet St, Brooklyn, NY
Saturday, June 18 at 6: Windup Space, 12 W North Ave, Baltimore, MD
Friday, June 24 at 7:30: Real Art Ways, 56 Arbor St, Hartford, CT
Saturday, June 25 at 2: Yes!Oui!Si! Space, 19 Vancouver St, Boston, MA

I’m not listed on all the PR materials yet, because Concord Spiral was a late addition to the program (thanks to my old friend Robert Carl). I’ll be at least at the New York performance. Hope many of you can come to some of these.

Comments

THANK YOU for mentioning the event this Sunday in Philly! I have been kind of on the fence about the American Sublime series (I’ll admit I’ve never even heard any of Feldman’s music, so I’m kind of scared to jump into a bunch of rooms full of people that are probably very hip to his stuff) but if a bunch of people (including yourself) are going to be talking about it I’ll try to come and learn some things…and then maybe I won’t feel so out of the loop.

KG replies: Feel free to introduce yourself.

2. Jacob Feinberg says

Looking forward to attending your lecture tomorrow.

KG replies: Fantastic!

Damn! I had hoped to soak up some “Concord Spiral” this Friday, and say hello. I have to teach that night, though. Well, I’ll keep checking back for more appearances…

cool to meet you at cafe orwell, kyle! i’m looking forward to hearing your piece 2x more this coming weekend. it went over well in bmore.

KG replies: Thanks, Ruby. I liked your quartet. Curious coincidences between things you did in it and that I did in a piece I finished last week. We should talk sometime.

cool, yeah, let me know when you find yourself in the baltimore/DC area and i’ll do the same if i’m up your way! which piece? i’m curious.

KG replies: It’s a new orchestra piece called Desert Song. Two melodies come back over and over at regular intervals with slight variations, over a static postminimalist background.

6. david smooke says

I’d just like to add to Ruby’s comment above how lovely it was to meet you in person at Cafe Orwell. It was great getting to hear your piece several times over the past few weeks and I also hope to hear some more in Balt/Wash soon!
    – David

KG replies: Good to meet you too, David, and your piece was enjoyable and original.