Here’s my list of recommended Broadway and off-Broadway shows, updated weekly. In all cases, I either gave these shows strongly favorable reviews in The Wall Street Journal when they opened or saw and liked them some time in the past year (or both). For more information, click on the title.
Warning: Broadway shows marked with an asterisk were sold out, or nearly so, last week.
– Avenue Q* (musical, R, adult subject matter, strong language, one show-stopping scene of puppet-on-puppet sex, reviewed here)
– Bridge & Tunnel* (solo show, PG, some adult subject matter and strong language, reviewed here, extended through July 9)
– Chicago* (musical, R, adult subject matter, sexual content, fairly strong language)
– Doubt (drama, PG-13, adult subject matter, implicit sexual content, reviewed here)
– The Light in the Piazza (musical, PG-13, adult subject matter and a brief bedroom scene, closes July 2, reviewed here)
– The Pajama Game (musical, G, reviewed here, closes June 18)
– Sweeney Todd* (musical, R, adult situations, strong language, reviewed here)
– The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee* (musical, PG-13, mostly family-friendly but contains a smattering of strong language and a production number about an unwanted erection, reviewed here)
– Abigail’s Party (drama, R, adult subject matter, strong language, reviewed here, closes Apr. 8)
– I Love You Because (musical, R, sexual content, strong language, reviewed here)
– Slava’s Snowshow (performance art, G, child-friendly, reviewed here)