For those of you wondering why in hell OGIC and I haven’t answered your e-mail, the answer is that as of about ten minutes ago, the pile in the mailbox had shrunk to 47 unanswered items. This may not sound like much progress from yesterday, but bear in mind that I also replied to every piece of new mail that came in since then!
The point being, I both delight and regret to say, that “About Last Night” is now starting to get a whole lot of mail. We love it. We read all of it. We’re trying to answer all of it (except for the dear-sir-you-cur letters and the spam from Liberia). We’re a bit daunted by it.
The following tips may help us to get back to you sooner:
(1) If you’re writing to Our Girl in Chicago, put “OGIC” in the subject header. Otherwise, I’ll assume you’re writing to TT (or both of us).
(2) If you know either of us personally, write to us directly, not through the blog. That slows everything down.
(3) Please don’t put “About Last Night” on any routine mailing lists, not even yours. That also slows everything down.
(4) Please don’t write only to say Thank you or Ditto or I’ll do that. We know it’s polite to acknowledge e-mail, but every piece of incoming mail we get, however brief, takes the same amount of time to open and scan. We’ll take your thoughtful sentiments for granted.
(5) Be patient. I’ve turned off the autoresponder (the one that used to automatically send a Be patient response to everyone who wrote to the blog) because it stimulated the spammers. We promise to write you back as soon as we can.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness. Like I said, your mail means a lot to us, absolutely, no fooling, and we’re doing our damnedest to chew through it. You’re the best.