Contact me

Click here to send me an email…

We’re cutting down on spam. Please fill in the form below to contact me:

Related

Comments

Hi Howard, I heard you today on WNYC and I felt for you during your exchange with Al diMeola. I agree with everything you said ;-) … and I understand the guy’s feelings.
    All the best,
    Sylvain

Dear Mr. Mandel,
    I just came across your blog and enjoyed several of the posts. I recently started my own music blog, which can be found at improvisedblog.blogspot.com. I’ve got a review up of Michael Adkins’ Rotator, among other things. Please check it out when you have a minute.
    Thanks,
    Craig Premo

I wanted to send you some information about the upcoming Vital Vox Festival in New York in case it’s of any interest to your blog readers. The Vital Vox Festival is happening on May 1st and 2nd in NYC at the Teatro International Theatre Arts Institute.
    The first annual Vital Vox: A Vocal Festival (www.vitalvoxfest.com) will bring together a range of vocalists collaborating on a total of 8 performances. The festival’s mission is to explore the human voice in its solo and ensemble forms across genres. The singers will perform original pieces as well as works by American masters like Meredith Monk & John Zorn.
    The performers come from a wide variety of backgrounds from electronic music to jazz, from beatboxing to contemporary music. The artists in the festival have performed in venues like Lincoln Center, Brooklyn Academy of Music, JVC Jazz Festival, American Festival of Microtonal Music, and many others.
    Here is a link to a small sample of the music that will be presented. The work “On Becoming” featured on the link below will also be released as a cd opening night of the festival. http://www.sashabmusic.com/sashab/Projects.html
    Thanks!
    Allegra

4. Charlton Price says

Hello, Howard Mandel.
    I write for JAM magazine, http://www.kcjazzambassadors.com)
    from Seattle. For the October-November issue we are doing a story on the future of jazz on radio (as well as via other media which take audio streaming/downloads). From Ramsey’s Rifftides I learned about your “experiment” on jazz audience size and the nature of the audience. And I read your posting about fans’ twittering news of gigs, groups, and venues.
    For our JAM story, what do you see as the future of jazz on radio, broadcast and other-cast, in the next 10-20 yars?
    I would like to quote you in the story if you’re willing.
    Best wishes.
    Charlton Price

5. Steven Hashimoto says

Howard
    Thanks for supporting the home team. It’s possible we may have met at some point, but life is long and brain cells die, and if we did I don’t recall, but I have read your writing for many years. I’m a bass player here in Chicago.
    Steven Hashimoto

hi,
    I’m involved with the Justice for Jazz Artists! (J4JA) campaign, which is a project from Local 802 of the American Federation of Musicians — trying to improve conditions for jazz musicians in New York City. The project was spearheaded by Bob Cranshaw, Jimmy Owens, Benny Powell and Bernard Purdie, among others — there are over 2,000 signers on our petition now.
    Basically, as a first step, we’re trying to get the top clubs in NYC (such as the Village Vanguard, Blue Note or Jazz Standard) to pay a pension to the musicians that play there. We know that economics for jazz clubs are tough, so the union successfully lobbied for a NY state tax break on admissions to these clubs. This means that paying into the pension would cost the clubs and musicians NOTHING.
    Unfortunately, although a few supported it before it passed, since then, almost none of the clubs have even agreed to sit down and talk with us. That’s why the J4JA! campaign is holding a rally — this Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2:00pm at Judson Memorial Church in Manhattan (more info below).
    If you support our campaign, please consider spreading the word about J4JA! and the rally specifically. Obviously, we’d be more than happy to answer any questions you might have or grant interviews, etc. Below are some links if you want more information.
    thanks for your consideration!
    Website: http://www.justiceforjazzartists.org/
    Online Petition: http://www.justiceforjazzartists.org/petition
    Press release on 9/29 Rally: http://justiceforjazzartists.org/2009/09/press-release-on-tuesdays-j4ja-rally/
    General info on rally: http://justiceforjazzartists.org/2009/09/sept-29-j4ja-rally-in-nyc/
    J4JA! YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeVKJJzHrgs
    Featuring: Jimmy Owens, Bob Cranshaw, Bernard Purdie, Reggie Workman, Randy Weston, Benny Powell, Junior Mance, Bertha Hope, Keisha St. Joan, Rudy Lawless, Marion Cowings
    Endorsers: http://justiceforjazzartists.org/endorsers/
    2,000+ signers, including Mayor Dinkins, William Thompson, Christine Quinn, Amiri Baraka, Judi Silvano, Chris Lightcap, Maria Schneider, Dr. Billy Taylor, Marc Ribot, Regina Carter, Jame Carter, Jason Moran, Wycliffe Gordon, George Cables, Andrew Cyrille, Stanton Davis, Andrew Farber, Paul Motian, Arturo O’Farrill, Reggie Workman.

Dear Mr. Mandel,
    This is Kat Manalastas from Three Keys Music (Silver Spring, MD). I represent Marcus Johnson, world renowned jazz pianist and CEO of Three Keys Music. We are glad to announce that Marcus Johnson will be playing at Blue Note New York “Late Night Groove Series,” on October 24, 1AM. Marcus Johnson recently released his eleventh solo album entitled, Poetically Justified. The album debuted no. 10 at the Billboard Contemporary Jazz charts and reached no.4. I would like to know if you would you be interested to do an interview with Marcus Johnson in line with this event? If you need more information or have any questions, please feel free to contact me through email or at 301-589-1800.
    Thank you very much!