Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim seeks a dynamic, creative, engaging individual to bring musical and visual artistry to our congregational worship and programming, and be an integral member of our worship planning team.
- Introduce and share melodies/arrangements for liturgy that reflect the goals, themes, and target demographics of particular worship services and continue to build a diverse repertoire for the congregation
- Develop congregational resources to lead that music, including:
- Song leaders (including youth)
- Youth choir
- Arrange music leaders from the above for all worship services
- Arrange for substitutes when necessary
- Create music menus for all worship services
- Lead music oneself for Friday night services twice per month, on average
- Create visual t’filah, as needed, utilizing visual imagery to enhance the theme and mood of a worship service
- Conceptualize and create video recordings, either as pieces of a worship service or a service in its entirety, as needed
- Plan and direct the annual congregational Purim Spiel
- Supervise, and coordinate with, Choir Director and Accompanist
- Track payroll for Choir Director, Accompanist, and other hired musicians; monitor annual music and High Holy Day music budgets
- Perform administrative tasks connected to the music program (e.g. ordering/copying music for the choir and tracking musical selections for JLicense)
- Offer periodic opportunities for congregants to learn music (e.g. First Friday dinners, lifelong learning sessions, before services)
Depending on interest and abilities, responsibilities could also include:
- Lead music for B’nai Mitzvah services, selecting melodies with B’nai Mitzvah families
- Coordinate music for Religious School
- Sunday T’filah
- Sunday music curriculum (including holidays)
- R.S. Shabbat Services
- Coordinate and co-lead monthly Tot Shabbat Services
- The responsibilities of Choir Director
Part-Time Salary: $30,000-40,000 commensurate with experience and responsibilities.
Contact: Paige Williams, KKBE President & Search Committee Chair, email@example.com
From our beginnings in 1749, Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (KKBE) has been at the spiritual heart of Jewish Charleston. Since 1841, we have served as the cornerstone of Reform Jewish practice. We strive to provide our roughly 450 member households a wide range of worship and learning experiences in a warm, supportive environment.
Our congregation is proudly committed to serving the religious needs of families and individuals through inclusive worship and ritual, education, and the quest toward social justice, peace and acts of loving kindness. In our magnificent sanctuary and throughout our beautiful campus, we strive to encourage a lifelong love of Jewish learning, pride in our Jewish heritage, and commitment to a strong Jewish future.