Founded in 1916 by the legendary musicians and music educators David and Clara Mannes, Mannes Prep is a vital provider of pre-collegiate music education programs for students ages 4-18. Mannes Prep serves young artists at all levels, from beginners through advanced students aspiring toward collegiate study in music. Mannes Prep is an arm of the College of Performing Arts (CoPA) at The New School, a comprehensive university in New York City, comprised of ﬁve degree-granting colleges, including Parsons School of Design.
- The Director reports to the Executive Dean of the College of Performing Arts and is a member of the CoPA Deans Council.
- The Director of Mannes Prep will work closely with colleagues in CoPA and is the lead administrator of the Mannes Prep program, including the following areas of responsibility:
Academic Program: Management of Faculty and Curriculum Development
- Oversee the development and delivery of coursework and curriculum, including performance juries, concerto competition, and overall performance production. Recruit, hire, and manage faculty and staff. Evaluate faculty and courses in conjunction with colleagues at CoPA and the Provost Office.
Enrollment: Oversee Enrollment and Student/Family Support
- Lead all aspects of student recruitment and enrollment management, partnering with Operations (Continuing and Professional Education) and collaborating with other university departments and teams to ensure integration and deliver support and quality experience to students and families. Collaborate with the University marketing team on promotional messaging, including the preparation of brochures, website pages, and social media messaging to attract prospects. Seek to expand enrollment and revenues through development of new offerings which build on current strengths and potentially build pan-university bridges (e.g., with Parsons Youth programs).
Equity, Inclusion, and Social Justice:
- Works with colleagues and staff to advance an environment of diversity and inclusion and a positive, collaborative, and professional workplace.
Operations and Business: Administer the operational and ﬁnancial aspects of Mannes Prep
- Lead scheduling process, including student registration, course building, course assignment, ensemble placement, lesson scheduling, and room assignments. Manage program operations, including space and AV for all classrooms/lesson/rehearsal spaces; oversee payroll, including faculty additional duty pay; and insure that all operations comply with University policies and procedures, including ADA, TITLE IX and FERPA.
- Supervise the full-time Assistant Director and other part-time staff, including orchestra librarians, accompanists, and student assistants. Manage the Mannes Prep budget, within goals for revenue and proﬁtability, and work with the University Development Ofﬁce and CoPA leadership to raise funds and grow contributed income.
- A Master’s degree in performing arts, K-12 performing arts education, or equivalent experience.
- Five plus years of signiﬁcant experience in a pre-college music program and/or community music school.
- Experience in K-12 music curriculum, including an understanding of age and grade appropriate issues in performing arts academic courses and in performing repertoire and ensembles.
- Experience in faculty affairs.
- Exemplary professional and personal skill set, including organizational, communications, planning, and implementation.
- Ability to work a Tuesday through Saturday schedule and evenings when required.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all forms.
- Experience working with a student information system and customer relations management system.
- Experience in developing innovative and forward-thinking PreK-12 music and performing arts educational programming.
The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including gender identity and expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.