The world’s only classical music organization created for individuals living with mental illness and the people who support them is hiring a new part-time conductor for our orchestra based in Burlington, VT.
The Conductor of Me2/Orchestra (“me, too” orchestra) in Burlington, VT will report directly to the Music Director of the Me2/ organization, Ronald Braunstein. The Conductor is responsible for weekly rehearsals between September – May and selection of music for three different programs to be performed twice each (a total of six performances each season).
- Lead rehearsals on Thursday evenings, September–May, from 7:00–9:00 p.m.
- Lead as many as six orchestra performances each concert season.
- Select repertoire appropriate to the skill levels of the musicians.
- Coordinate bowing of orchestra parts with section leaders.
- Assign parts for each piece.
- Coordinate scheduling of performance dates with Me2/’s Executive Director.
- Ability to lead an orchestra membership that includes both professional and amateur musicians of various ability levels.
- Skills necessary to communicate effectively with a diverse group of musicians, including many with mental health diagnoses.
- Ability to select music and conduct rehearsals that will challenge more advanced musicians without alienating those who are less experienced.
- Willingness to lead performances in both traditional and non-traditional venues (such as gymnasiums and prisons).
- Nurture an atmosphere of mentoring and support within the orchestra membership. Fully commit to cultivating a collaborative and inclusive rehearsal and performance environment.
Although not a requirement, personal experience with mental illness is viewed as an asset. Me2/Orchestra does not discriminate against employees on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, or disability.
Salary: $10,000 (Ten Thousand Dollars)
Please send a brief letter of interest describing your experience to date and the benefit you see both for yourself and the orchestra by your participation. Also include your resume, along with 2-3 links to video examples of your conducting.
Include the names and contact information for two professional references (phone numbers and email addresses). They will not be contacted without your prior permission.
Deadline for applications: July 26, 2019. Applications will be accepted via email only to: email@example.com, subject “Conductor Application”. Please include links to conducting videos in either your cover letter or in the email message itself.
Onsite auditions to be held on Saturday, September 7, 2019.
Rehearsal & concert season begins September 19, 2019.
Questions? Please contact Me2/Orchestra’s Executive Director, Caroline Whiddon, at firstname.lastname@example.org.