Spoleto Festival USA, internationally recognized as America’s premier performing arts festival, seeks a Director of Finance to oversee an approximately $8 million operating budget, $16 million investment portfolio, & three facilities.
Spoleto Festival USA
Founded in 1977 and based in historic downtown Charleston, South Carolina, over 17 days and nights in May and June, Spoleto Festival USA presents and produces over 150 performances of opera, theater, dance, and chamber, symphonic, choral, and jazz music and is internationally recognized as America’s premier performing arts festival.
The Festival engages over 350 seasonal employees as members of its orchestra, chorus, production, box office, and administration teams as well as various performing artists and companies.
The Director of Finance provides oversight and management responsibilities for the Festival’s financial accounting, budgetary administration, human resources, database administration, information technology, facilities operations, investments, risk management, and insurance functions. The Director is a member of the organization’s senior management team; works closely with Board of Directors leadership; and oversees the Festival’s approximately $8 million operating budget, $16 million investment portfolio, and three facilities.
The Director of Finance reports to the General Director and directly supervises the Accounting Manager, Technology Manager, Facilities Manager, Receptionist, and several seasonal interns, as well as partial supervision of the CRM Systems Manager.
The Festival currently uses Financial Edge fund accounting software and Tessitura fundraising, ticketing and customer relationship management software.
The Director of Finance has the opportunity to attend performances during the Festival.
- Develops and tracks budget scenarios for all program, operations, and facility areas
- Supervises accounting staff in maintenance of general ledger, accounts payable, payroll, cash receipts, pledges receivable and contributions, ticket sales, accounts receivable, fixed asset and purchase orders
- Responsible for compliance and on-boarding of 350+ seasonal employees including student foreign national employees
- Oversees compensation and benefits programs for 20-person full-time staff
- Responsible for timely filings of all state and federal tax returns, reports, and registrations.
- Manages all liability, property, and casualty insurance policies and claims
- Manages cash flow, loans and lines of credit
- Prepares grant project budgets and reviews applications
- Responsible for federal, state, union labor law, immigration compliance, and employment policies
- Develops and implements operational best-practices and maintains procedures, policies, and internal controls
- Prepares and reviews ticket sales projections in conjunction with the Director of Marketing and PR
- Oversees budget and acquisition of fixed assets including technology and facility-related items
- Reviews engagement and employment contracts, licensing, co-production agreements
- Calculates, files and reports royalty payments
- Oversees foreign exchange account and foreign payments
- Works annually with independent CPA firm and board audit committee to present audited financial statements
- Works with outside legal counsel and monitors open legal issues involving the organization
- Oversees operations of two facilities (administrative office and performing/event facility)
- Coordinates and supervises seasonal technology needs including information and telecom resources
Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related field and/or
- 5+ years of senior financial and/or management experience
- Experience in the fields of performing arts and not-for-profit organizations considered an asset
- Experience in a high-volume seasonal personnel environment considered an asset
- Ability to pass and maintain a clear background check
Competitive salary; health, dental, vision, and LTD insurance; parking provided; paid leave and holidays; 401(k) matching program
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No calls please.