Major new position within this important theater. Recommendations, as well as applications are welcomed by the consulting firm retained to guide this search. Visit Management Consultants for the Arts, Inc. website for the full job profile and instructions as to applying: https://tinyurl.com/PublicMD
The Public Theater is one of America’s great theaters, rich in its history of artistic and civic accomplishment. It is in the midst of a burst of growth and even more impact. Its powerful mission and values can be found on the last page of this document.
Its budget today is $45 million, but it is predicted to significantly increase over the next 10 years. This is therefore a moment of significant change and promise for this venerable institution as it has grown to producing and presenting an enormous amount of work on its multiple stages at its home base, as well as at the Delacorte in Central Park, commercial transfers on and off Broadway, and co-productions with America’s finest theaters. The flow chart for a season now reveals there is really no “down time,” and the activity includes multiple aspects beyond work on its main theatre stages. These include Joe’s Pub, Public Works, the Mobile Unit touring more and more parks throughout the boroughs of NYC, Under the Radar Festival, Public Shakespeare Initiative, and Public Forum. This is not to mention the enormous amount of new play development that continues to support some of the great writing in this country.
Artistic Director Oskar Eustis and Executive Director Patrick Willingham have joined with key leadership within the Public to conceive of the new structure. General Manager Jeremy Adams has been elevated to the post of Managing Director; the Associate Producer will report to him. As such, they both will be at the crucial intersection of artistic and so-called administrative aspects of the theater.
The Associate Producer will become a crucial force in making these structural changes work. While reporting to Jeremy Adams, there will be ongoing and rich interaction with Oskar Eustis, as well as with the Associate Artistic Director who, among other roles, oversees commercial production activity. Additionally, the new hire will work with the directors of production, new work development, casting, special artistic projects, Under the Radar, and Public Works. There will also be a new position created for an Artistic Chief of Staff who will become part of this large and important team.
Much more information about the Public can be found at https://www.publictheater.org
Position and Responsibilities:
As noted above, the Associate Producer role is newly minted as part of a significant restructuring the Public has undertaken to address its exceedingly complex, fluid, and challenging scope of work. Because it is a new position, the chosen candidate will become an integral part of the team to evaluate how the new structure can evolve to best serve the Public Theater. It is assumed that further changes in the roles will likely be made once the work of the Associate Producer becomes interwoven with the growth and rapid change at this theater. What follows in this document is the best thinking at this time by the leadership of the organization.
The current articulation of the responsibilities is as follows:
There are 3 central roles that are key to the Associate Producer’s success:
- Lead the Producing department, manage its 4 Line Producers, Associate Line Producers and assistants.
- Provide focus, prioritization and context in a landscape of multiple and concurrent commitments.
- Engage with artists to identify the resources/scope required to create budget assumptions for each production; manage those assumptions and communicate if changes/requests for more resources occur.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Serve as primary liaison between artists and internal departments including but not limited to Marketing, Development, and General Management.
- Oversee creative team meetings and design presentations.
- With Artistic Chief of Staff, facilitate attendance of Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director at rehearsals, technical rehearsals, and performances.
- When taking the lead on line producing specific projects, collaborate with the Production Manager and Company Manager as a show team to provide support to production, artists and the wider organization.
- Oversee copy edit and approval of programs, press releases and marketing materials on behalf of the Producing department for all projects.
- As an advocate, represent The Public Theater to the Board of Directors as well as to national and international stakeholders.
For the full job profile and application instructions please visit the web site of Management Consultants for the Arts, Inc., working with The Public Theater on this important search – https://tinyurl.com/PublicMD