Artists Repertory Theatre, Portland, Oregon’s longest-running professional theatre (operating budget approximately $3mil), seeks a Managing Director to lead the organization’s fundraising efforts, Board development, strategic planning, business administration, and financial management. This position is full-time and reports to the Board of Directors.
- Maintain transparent and productive working relationship with the Artistic Director and the Board of Directors to pursue Artists Rep’s mission, expand its reach, and move the 36-year old organization to its next level of professionalism and excellence.
- In partnership with the Board Treasurer, Consulting CFO, Finance Director, and Artistic Director, manage the annual budget process toward the goal of a balanced and sustainable budget, while maintaining Artists Rep’s standards of shared accountability and transparency.
- Devise and manage annual operation and capital budgets, oversee financial reporting and control procedures, communicate financial data with appropriate stakeholders (departments, Board, funders, auditors, etc.), and provide financial analysis.
- Oversee day-to-day business operations; recruit, train, and manage all non-production staff; oversee and manage information technology systems.
- Oversee the Finance office (currently comprised of the Director of Finance and Administration and Finance Associate).
- Work closely with the Board Leadership Committee, Artistic Director, and Development Director to identify and cultivate new Board members and maintain agreed expectations for Board membership; manage new Board member orientation; maintain Board member work plans in direct partnership with Board Chair; ensure timely departmental reports in advance of full Board and committee meetings.
- Work closely with the Board Building Committee, Artistic Director, Development Director, contracted Owners Reps, and Architects to conclude the partial half-block sale of Artists Rep’s property at 1515 SW Morrison Street, devise and communicate plans for the subsequent re-design of its remaining property, and lead a capital campaign to subsidize the proceeds from the sale and ensure a sustainable and stable operation for the theatre and its programs.
- In partnership with the Artistic Director, drive all fundraising initiatives to increase contributed revenue on behalf of the organization.
- Oversee the Development office (currently comprised of Development Director, Individual Giving and Corporate Sponsorship Manager, and contracted grant writers); participate directly in grant writing and grant reporting; solicit new institutional and corporate funding; pursue short and long-term strategies and goals for growing Artists Rep’s base of contributed support.
- Oversee the Marketing and Audience Development office (currently comprised of the Marketing Director, Marketing Associate, Graphic Designer, Box Office Manager, and Sales Manager); work in partnership with the Marketing Director and Artistic Director to significantly increase ticket revenue.
- Along with Artistic Director, maintain a presence on behalf of Artists Rep at community, business, and government events with a view toward increasing the company’s visibility and connection to the broader community.
- Maintain and grow Artists Rep’s relationships with local foundations, develop new relationships and partnerships in the business community, along with donors, audience members, media, elected officials, and arts leaders.
- In partnership with the Artistic Director, foster Artists Rep’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Board and Artistic Director to develop and maintain ongoing strategic planning processes.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- 5 years of experience in a leadership position at a non-profit performing arts organization.
- 5 years of experience leading development and fundraising efforts at a non-profit performing arts organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred in business administration, nonprofit or theatre management, or related field.
- Preference given to strong business and financial management experience/skills.
- Preference given to previous experience managing a capital campaign.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Comfortable managing plans with multiple and shifting timelines and outcomes.
- Strong personnel management.
We offer a competitive salary along with a comprehensive benefits package, including full medical and dental coverage, parking, a dog-friendly office, complimentary tickets to all Artists Rep productions, and a flexible PTO plan starting at five weeks per year.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org with MANAGING DIRECTOR SEARCH in the subject line by July 15, 2018. No phone calls, please.
Artists Repertory Theatre is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. The position will remain open until a diverse list of qualified candidates has been assembled. We seek to engage a candidate by fall 2018.
Artists Repertory Theatre does not discriminate in its hiring and employment practices against any applicant because of race, color, creed, age, national origin, religion, political affiliation, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identification, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
ABOUT ARTISTS REPERTORY THEATRE
Artists Repertory Theatre’s mission is to produce intimate, provocative theatre and provide a home for artists and audiences to take creative risks. Artists Rep is Portland’s premiere mid-size regional theatre company, and is led by Artistic Director/Interim Managing Director Dámaso Rodríguez. Founded in 1982, Artists Repertory Theatre is the longest-running professional theatre company in Portland. Artists Rep became the 72nd member of the League of Resident Theatres (LORT) in 2016 and is an Associate Member of the National New Play Network (NNPN). Learn more at http://www.artistsrep.org/