Terrible news: Tragic death of young soprano while singing Verdi’s Requiem

The Teatro Colón in Buenos Aires reports the death of soprano Florencia Fabris, who had suffered a brain aneurysm while singing Verdi’s Requiem at the Auditorio Juan Victoria in the province of San Juan.

Fabris, 38, felt bad during the performance, but refused to leave the stage. She  was rushed to Mendoza and underwent surgery but failed to recover. Our deep sympathies to her family and friends.

Florencia Fabris

Her colleague Carmen Giannattasio has contacted Slipped Disc with the following message:

It is with extreme sadness I am aware of the death of Florencia Fabris who was my cover as Desdemona only a month ago in Buenos Aires. She
was a young, solar, full of life girl. She was so nice to give to me a little teddy bear mascot of her daughter taken from her toy box just to keep me company in my dressing room during performances, since I was alone.
Life hides many surprises sometimes happy, sometimes bitter like this one.  She died while singing Libera Me Domine in Verdi’s Requiem.
May God rest her soul  I am very close to her family in this very sad moment.  Florencia rest in peace
Carmen Giannattasio

Comments

1. maxine kwok-adams says:

Beautiful words in tribute. Terribly sad for family, friends and the opera world.

2. harold braun says:

The worst thing to happen.I lost my daughter 7 years ago because of cerebral aneurysm.She had been only 22.I really feel for her family and friends.

3. I am so sorry to hear the sad news and feel sad for her family, friends and the loss to the world of opera

4. A dear friend of mine passed away in February from a Cerebral Aneurysm. She left a husband, son and 2 daughters. So sudden and still so surreal!

5. What a very sad story. My condolences to her family and colleagues.

6. A sad, tragic story! I picked up a few more details of the series of events from some online Argentine publications (in Spanish, so had to wade through translation) and posted here: http://www.earrelevant.net/2013/09/argentine-soprano-florencia-fabris-suffers-aneurysm-during-verdis-requiem-and-dies-after-surgery/ with a link back to your post here. I appreciate your early lead on this.

7. Those who bear gifts that we love are the ones who leave us behind soon, her incredible voice shall forever be in our minds. May her soul rest in peace

8. De tout coeur avec sa famille, et une prière pour son âme qui, avec ce Libera me doit être déjà très haut.

9. My condolances! It is terrible!

• Cynthia Eady Paulson says:

May God be with her family and frirnds in this time of great sorrow. in this life we are not privy to why such devastating events occur, but when we trust God or hearts can heal.

10. fernando martin says:

una perdida terrible para el arte .

11. Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.
    Massimo Arduino – Streaming TV Teatro Carlo Felice – Genova – Italia

12. Anne Cheney says:

September is Brain Aneurysm Awareness Month . My condolences at this time. I hope people make themselves more aware of this tragic disease. I am the survivor of one, and carrier of three more. My sister died of hers. I totally understand.

13. she didnt die while singing but days afterwards, having survived the surgery

14. alberto jerez says:

YO ESTUBE PRESENTE EN EL CONCIERTO , CANTE EN EL CORO , FUE TERRIBLE EL MOMENTO NO SABIAMOS QUE PASABA , CANTO HASTA EL FINAL , NO HAY PALABRAS PARA DESCRIBIR LA EMOCION QUE SENTIMOS LOS COREUTAS QUE ESTUBIMOS CON ELLA AHI . Q..E.P.D.

15. Maria Adelaide Recarey says:

RIP

16. timothy rookey says:

I cried and cried. To die while singing such a beautiful, heavenly, powerful song. May her soul, and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. She’ll be singing with the angels now.

17. Luigi pisani says: