BBC’s longest-serving music presenter is stepping down at 87

David Jacobs, whose dulcet tones accompanied my childhood top of the pops, has announced his retirement due to poor health.

The long-serving DJ with the ideal initials has been a regular presenter since 1945. He had crisp diction and was always (though no radio listener could see) immaculately dressed. Lately, he has presented a Sunday show on oldie Radio 2.

Beat that.

david jacobs

Comments

1. richardcarlisle says:

Nice to know of someone this exceptional… thanks for the post!

2. Where might we find some audio of his work?

3. Una Barry says:

Juke Box Jury perhaps on YouTube, which would be telly, rather than radio. Try that from the 60s!

• Hello from New Zealand. I did find some audio. Sounds very like his equivalent here, John Gordon on our National Radio. Very “old school”. Thanks to Norman Lebrecht for the link.

4. Michael Antrobus - Oslo/Norway. says:

He should have been honoured with a KNIGHTHOOD!

5. Kirsten McLaren says:

I agree David Jacobs should definitely have been awarded a Knighthood! How could he possibly have been overlooked for this honour?!?

6. John Skuse says:

On a Sunday at 11.00pm he always greeted us with a “hello there” to which I always replied likewise. He will be much missed and I’d be interested to know whether he has ever been decorated for services to broadcasting. On Sunday I’ll record his show so his “hello there” will not be lost to this listener.

7. Malcolm Hall says:

I had the great pleasure of knowing David when we both served on the board of Thames Radio. He was the Chairman.
    I now live in the U.S. and a regular listener to his show, thanks Sonus, I will surely miss him.
    He is a Gentleman, God bless him.