BBC suffers Reith Lecture irony failure

Grayson Perry, the cross-dressing potter, will give the next Reith lecture, named for the BBC’s austere, prudish founder.

grayson perry bbc They having a larf? reith bbc

both pics (c) BBC

Comments

1. Edmond Clement says:

For ‘austere, prudish’, read ‘upright, with probity’ – all very unfashionable nowadays. I wonder how Lord Reith is viewed in Zionist circles.

• Larry Katz says:

Especially the upright probity of his fervent pro-Nazi views in the thirties.

• Mike Schachter says:

Really?Like so many prudes, a hypocrite and adulterer. Presumably antisemitism trumps these minor failings.

2. robcat2075 says:

On radio, no one can hear you cross-dressing.

The speaker’s planned topic seems conventional enough.

3. Ciaran O'Meara says:

And the problem is what exactly? Have you not listened to anything Grayson has said? You attitude is about 50 years out of date.

• Precisely. Look beyond Perry’s cross-dressing; that is irrelevant. He produces thoughtful, socially-aware and often highly poetic work – a serious artist, in fact. An excellent choice of lecturer.

4. [I've just seen David's most recent post, which went up while I was writing mine. Well said. Couldn't agree more wholeheartedly.]

Grayson Perry is one of the sanest, most interesting and intelligent commentators I have come across. Even after reading his autobiography, in which he discusses his “Claire” persona, I still don’t totally understand it – something about facing down fears. But I think he’s well qualified to give a Reith Lecture. I’m also a fan of his wife (author and psychotherapist Phillipa Perry).

If anyone has been put off by Grayson’s attire… close your eyes and just listen. He’s well worth it. He also seems like someone I would enjoy sitting and having a pint with. I can’t say the same of many other public figures whom I admire professionally.

5. Mike Schachter says:

He is a highly intelligent and cogent man. The fact that he would have made Lord Reith apoplectic is a bonus.

6. Grayson Perry gave a fantastic and meaningful speech at the RPS Music Awards back in 2010. I just wish that artistic administrators took on board what he said.