Sydney announces unfancied Mexican as its next professor of conducting

The cushy job has gone to Eduardo Diazmuñoz. We hear that several more pedigreed noses have been severely disjointed.

Announcement here. It describes the incoming prof as being ‘internationally recognised as one of the most versatile musicians of his generation’. Now hang on a minute….

diazmunoz

Comments

1. Having worked with maestro Diazmuñoz on several occasions I can only say he is a great musician and Sidney made a great choice!! Maybe he is not internationally recognized by Mr. Lebrecht’s standards (but hey, not everybody has the marketing industry behind to be famous), but he certainly deserves to be! Composer, pianist, conductor, teacher/mentor, arts advocate and promoter, and has no problem to treat good “pop” music as an equal to good “classical” music. I am sure he’ll make a mark in Sidney and will be missed both at his home country and in the USA where he was working lately.

2. mindful musician says:

Maestro Diazmunoz is indeed a lovely man and a fine musician. Let those who live in glass houses not throw stones.

3. So, is the issue that he was hired based on something other than his reputation?

4. Nelson Armitano says:

I second the opinion of those who speak so highly of Mr. Diaz-Muñoz. I remember him as a very talented and versatile musician, and a lovely person to work with. Fame or marketing aside, Sidney made a great choice. Congratulations !

5. Fourth Norn says:

A piece of history that might be of interest. In 1914 Engelbert Humperdinck applied for the post of foundation director of the Sydney Conservatorium of Music but the appointment went instead to the Belgian violinist Henri Verbrugghen (remember him?). In 1927 Maurice Ravel was a candidate for the position of instructor in piano at the Conservatorium, but his application was rejected too, as was Arnold Schoenberg’s in 1934 for the position of teacher of harmony and theory.

• Scott Hannigan says:

My God! I never knew this. I was a student there from 1978-1983 and this is the first I have ever heard of this. I can understand (given the climate of the times in 1914) the rejection of the German Humperdinck, and perhaps even of Schoenberg in 1934, but Ravel in 1927. The horror!

• Fourth Norn says:

Composer Vincent Plush has given a fascinating account of all three cases in his article ‘They could have been ours’, published in ABC Radio magazine ’24 Hours’, January 1966.

6. Cavaquinho says:

For those wondering, the other candidates were German Johannes Fritzsch (chief of Queensland symphony) and Xincao Li, from Beijing.
    All three were well received but Diazmuñoz by far received the popular vote, even though the other two had some vociferous supporters. It was an exhaustive selection process, even students in the orchestra were polled prior to the announcement. As stated in the press release, the decision by the (huge) panel was unanimous.
    What an insult to the democratic process to refer to pedigree!

7. Pretty lazy commentary Mr Lebrecht. And talking of “cushy jobs”…a tad rich maybe?!

8. squirrel says:

Every conductor calls himself “The ___ ____ of his generation” so forget that.

Calling the job “cushy” is a little bit sensational. He will have to prove himself to students through teaching and conducting, and it’s not easy work. He will succeed or not.

9. It would be interesting to know where the people who have commented above have worked with Mr Diazmuñoz. After all, his biography (bizarrely) does not mention any orchestras that he has worked with, just that he has worked with ‘lots’.

10. Mark Mortimer says:

wasn’t my old mate from Indiana- Imre Pallo, the former professor of conducting?