No stars for official video of orchestra’s in-flight concert

I don’t trust this at all.

Everything looks as if it has been orchestrated by a 1980s provincial PR agency. The announcements are duff and the playing is artificial.

They must have had full professional video and editing on board to turnaround this production within 12 hours. That’s about ten free seats’ worth. Next time KLM raise difficulties about your cello, thrust this in their corporate faces.

Compared to the impromptu Philadelphia performance in China, with two million hits and more, this is fish-food. So far, 4,500 viewers have clicked on it. What may have started as a good intention got lost somewhere in committee.

c-bouw flight

Comments

1. Jonathan says:

‘They must have had full professional video and editing on board to turnaround this production within 12 hours.’

Erm….or a laptop. It’s the 21st century, Norman :-)

2. Yeah, that’s pretty staged. You can see all the corporate handlers in the background.

But my question is: is it a little disconcerting that the pilot was introducing this while the plane was in flight? I realize there are at least a couple co-pilots on long-haul flights, but even so, I thought they’re supposed to keep the door to the cockpit closed and locked? Oh well, it will probably still get a lot of views for KLM.

• Michael Schaffer says:

They do keep the cockpit doors closed and locked, but that doesn’t mean the pilots can’t leave the cockpit. Usually a flight attendant blocks the access to the cockpit door when they do. Or do you think on long distance flights they lock the pilots in and they have pee in a bucket in the cockpit?

• Gustavo Núñez says:

No worries, specially for this event, KLM had 4 pilots on board. The plane was safe in soneone else’s hands.

3. Any “professional” editing evidently did not extend to the translation, see 1′43″ (then again, given that I had to look up the Dutch word for “viola”, maybe I should not be too critical).

• Dominy Clements says:

Yes, ‘altviool’ = alto violin, of course it does! The Dutch always think they can write perfect English but the truth is often quite different.

Of course it’s a heavily set-up PR thing, but if the orchestra was able to make a good deal with KLM then best of luck to them!

4. I’ve been on tour with a few orchestras and I can’t say that I’ve ever worn concert attire for a 10-15 hour flight. Ever.

• Rosalind says:

I agree with Holly. Quite apart from that, who would just happen to have their concert attire packed in their hand luggage?

Personally I wouldn’t take my violin out the case on a long-haul flight, the dryness of the air is definitely not beneficial to good instruments. Which is probably a huge relief to anyone who might find themselves on the same flight as me.

5. Yeah, and who files these days (or any time in the past who knows how many years) in full concert attire and a phalanx of executives reading from prepared text?

Just lower the prices, get rid of the TSA (in the States), make the seats bigger, the attendants friendlier, the food better, the lines disappear,

There’s more to do, but that’s a good start.

6. Jheronymus says:

There is nothing to trust or mistrust. Off course, these concerts were planned by PR officials of KLM and the orchestra. I haven’t seen anybody suggesting this was an impromptu performance. The in flight concerts were announced several days before in the Dutch press. It is part of the 125 Anniversary world tour of the Orchestra that takes it to all five continents within the same year.

KLM is one of the three major sponsors of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra and I am happy they support the orchestra and classical music in general. I have to admit, the video is too much KLM and too little music. A video about the event, without officials and a short KLM mention at the beginning and end would have had more class.

I think there is nothing wrong to attract attention to classical music in this unusual way. I am a fan of Ben Zanders who sees glorious opportunities, because 97 % of the people still can discover and appreciate classical music. Bring it to people where you can.

7. John Parfrey says:

Agree, kind of contrived. At least they let a cello into the coach. Hopefully they do that for people who don’t perform in-flight!

8. Jonathan (2) says:

It’s called PR Norman! And you’re doing it for them. KLM has a track record for this kind of thing, and now you’ve proved that it works.