Palestinians rejoice as Gaza singer wins Arab Idol

Mohammed Assaf, whose appearance in the Beirut show was opposed by the ruling Hamas, tonight won the Arab Idol contest. His victory sparked celebrations across the Gaza Strip. Assaf, 24, is a professional wedding singer.

Haaretz reports his triumph as a unifying moment for Palestinians.

mohammed assaf

Here’s how they received the announcement in Ramallah.

Comments

1. Mervon Mehta says:

He is the whole package and should have a career on the world music circuit. How do I book him? Does he have an agent yet? Is he able to travel outside Gaza? Anyone have details?

• Neil van der Linden says:

Hello Mervon, this music is not exactly what is considered world music but Arabic pop music.

2. I didn’t see any women in the Ramallah crowd, that says it all in my view…

• Neil van der Linden says:

Fred, if that is all of your view that says it all for your view.

• Neil van der Linden says:

• Neil van der Linden says:

Fred, by the way do you own any recordings by the Vienna Philharmonic?
      Or by classical orchestras in general for that matter because in general we don’t see many female conductors around there.

• Sure there were women on the street. There is no curfew for them in Ramallah.
        Mabrouk, Mohammed!

• Plenty of women in the crowd at the Musikverein, though.

• neil van der linden says:

Yes but before recently not in the orchestra. And in fact 99% or more of the conductors are men, so that could be a reason to criticise or even boycott the phenomenon orchestra.
          Anyhow I was rather criticising the sour misers (sorry for having no other qualification) here who cant digest the fact that a guy from Gaza won this contest and that the Arab world, especially the Palestinian world, rejoices.

3. Cassanders says:

hmmm,
    I heard an exerpt of an interview this morning. He stated his concern was for peace, he sang for peace and for the martyrs….?

Do you have any thoughts on what kind of martyrs (i.e. linked to PEACE) he was referring to?

Cassanders
    Half the lies they tell about me are true
    (S.Gorn)