Yundi hurts his finger

Here’s what he has tweeted to Chinese followers on weibo: Finger inflamed, will go to hospital to get an injection. See you tomorrow night 19:30 at
royal festival hall!

One of his legion of fans responds: Ok yundi, we got it! Tomorrow we will criticize you a little bit gentler.

Another tweets: Please do feel free to hit the wrong notes.

yundi

Wouldn’t it be nice if we got half as passionate about English pianists?

Comments

1. I’m always irritated when artists – almost invariably young ones – drop one half of their names (in this case, I believe, his surname). It seems rather arrogant, especially when self-styled.
    I remember when Nigel Kennedy decided he would, thereafter, be known as Kennedy. Not that it lasted long!
    But perhaps it’s my age showing!

• It’s not often that simple. In the last Geza Anda piano competition in Zurich in June 2012, the 2nd prize winner was a Korean by the name of Kim Da Sol. For some unfathomable reason, the competition secretariat published his name during all of the public rounds, and presumably in the preliminaries as well, without the surname “Kim”. Now he is performing as just “Da Sol”. I suppose it is just a matter of fate, and he is making the best of it.

What about the well-known Cutner Solomon, who performed for most of his career simply as “Solomon”? What were his motivations for that?

And how many people know that Midori’s full name is Midori Goto?

• Mark Stratford says:

Alfredo Campoli got away with it for decades it as Campoli

BTW: Proms Prospectus is out today. All the Wager you can eat :-(

• But was it Campoli, himself, who made the decision (ditto for Solomon)? The distinction is subtle but telling.
        (PS I don’t know the answer to my question.)

• stephanie says:

I think he’s only changed his English name from Yundi Li to Yundi (probably for easier pronunciation/remembrance to the western audience). His Chinese name is still 李云迪 (Li Yundi), as how he is quoted and followed by the media/millions of fans in China. We (his Chinese fans) also usually call him just by his first name, for a closer feeling, like how you call a friend.

2. For ignored British pianists read Benjamin Frith. I’ve heard him a couple of times in concert. His recording of the Diabelli Variations is marvellous, as good as any. Seems a shame that we cannot concentrate on the music these days.

3. stephanie says:

haha, I thought more of us were telling him cold-jokes to cheer him up from the hurt finger.

4. DrewLewis says:

If one thinks for a moment about the letters that make up the word ‘Cutner’, it seems perfectly obvious why a person born with that surname might wish to suppress it.

5. Qianggugugu says:

Actually, most of people showed their worries about Yundi’s finger, and also, they wish Yundi success in royal festival hall ! Yesterday, Yundi told BBC radio audience that he prefer to be called as Yundi, feel more close, but if he use the whole name Yundi Li, people will call him “Li” instead…….

6. Well… it didn’t seem to bother Artur Rubenstein, Clifford Curzon, Alfred Brendel, Geza Anda, Marta Argerich et al.
    Begs the question: do some of the younger generation want instant ‘legendary’ status?

7. I was in the concert last night in London. Yundi’s performance was really really breathtaking despite his hurt finger. Forget about the unfriendly comment. They are not fans, and they are not those who truly love classic music.

• Please don’t lecture me about my love of classical music, Victoria. I have been going to concerts and operas regularly for over forty years. It is an undeniable fact that many of the younger generation do court a kind glossy recognition from the media that is a far cry from artists of the past who put the music well and truly first.

• David,

It is always like it. For example, many times S. Richter is called as “The bang” pianist, and most fans can understand the reason for that. So what? I like that bangs. However, no one cannot disregard some artists without been accused as insensible, if the opinion is regarding one of this cute and young ones. Sounds like someone that just says he is happy to be a male, but they turned it as a chauvinist statement .They call themselves as fans, but I call then storm troopers, hooligans. We could apply the same behavior in general to L2 and Dudamel (Please, I’m not criticizing these artists, but their legion of elite squads). Be happy with your favorite artist, but understand that no one was ever a unanimity (And thanks god about it).

• Victoria says:

I do not mean to lecture you! Have you really read my words? In my opinion, you can give comments to his performance, no matter positive or negative, but the comments shown in this article is just not relative to his music !!!!! I cannot understand why these people show such hostility to him! You know what, when you are injured, do you wish to be laughed at instead of being encouraged? It’s really a pity if you have listened to classic music for so many years but think of things in such way. I’m not so-called crazy fans, plz do not identify me as well !

• Victoria says:

I think I have to apologize to you for some of my words, and I respect every people who treat classic music seriously. What makes me angry is not the true music loves as you, but those who cannot give an artist a fair and objective comment.

8. according to my friend in China, some qualified critics said Yundi does not practice piano nowadays and spend plenty time making girlfriends. I don’t know why The Independent still gave his performance in royal festival hall four stars!!

Lang Lang is better than Yundi, especially for his technique, he is the only piano super star around world.

• That’ not true actually, lang also has gossip with girl. gossip is gossip… I don’t think a man spent a lot of time on making girlfriend could perform so successful theses days~

• Victoria says:

They gave him four stars, because they listened to his music rather than the “funny rumors” you got from “your friend”.

9. You guys are soooooooo mean.

10. From the recital everything was just okay, like his keyboard skills did not get affected at the time.
    Anyway the question remains around his ideas on Beethoven. Insipid and mechanical,with an accent of elegant stiffness.

11. antony wall says:

I attended Yundi Li’s London recital last Thursday 18/4/13. First time I’ve seen him.

1) He was never dull and there were some fine moments. I particularly enjoyed the slow mvt of the Pathetique (hidden depths) and the last of the Moonlight which made a rousing conclusion.

2) I was surprised by Yundi’s noisy pedalling – foot often high off the pedal. His unusually curved fingers and occasional stabbing at the key board risk, not for the first time, injury. I hope his career is not cut short.

3) Concert just about sold out and people sitting on stage. 90% of audience were chinese and young. I hope this is just chinese enthusiasm and not a lack of interest by us Brits.

4) I’d like to hear Yundi in a concerto and hope he returns soon.