So you find Mozart boring, repetitive? Watch this.

Watch this. You won’t be disappointed.

Comments

1. Richard Crampton says:

A great deal of Mozart’s compositions are simplistic and predictable, reminding me of nursery rhymes. I spect his popularity may stem from the less musically sophisticated listener’s resonance with the precosious tyke’s doodling for adult approval?

• Petros Linardos says:

It took me quite a few years to appreciate his music. Still working on it, forty years down the road.

If you want to find your way with Mozart, I suggest that you check the Magic Flute, the Requiem or the concerto for two pianos.

• A lot of Mozart’s works were dashed off and easy, but his best works (late symphonies, concertos, quartets, operas) are anything but. For reference, see/read Bernstein’s introductory analysis of Mozart’s 40th Symphony in Bernstein’s Norton Lectures at Harvard. The melodic and harmonic invention is quite sophisticated – its simplicity is deceptive, and some people are easily fooled.

• “A great deal of Mozart’s compositions are simplistic”. Rubbish. Simple, maybe but not simplistic.
      “his popularity may stem from the less musically sophisticated listener’s resonance with the precosious tyke’s doodling for adult approval”. Rubbish. I can tell you that the musically sophisticated, as you pompously put it, appreciate Mozart at least as much as the “less musically sophisticated”.

• Well put Alex, Mozart’s music works on many levels.
        In particular, the experience of playing Mozart’s music is quite unique. His compositions are so beautifully contoured to match a natural technique. He was a musician’s composer. There is so much to explore.

• ‘At the present time, he is the most perfect manifestation of the musical gift that the world has ever seen. Every true musician looks up to him, grateful and disarmed’. Ferruccio Busoni: 34 Aphorisms on Mozart.

Can’t put it better.

• Absolute rubbish, sir!

• I find most of it predictable and boring. Yes, the late works are better, but i find the fascination of some US orchestras with Mozart to be wearisome. Maybe he fills seats.

• Jake Harnoy says:

Mozart’s compositions are simplistic and predictable only to those who are unable to recognize their greatness

2. Who needs this?

3. If you find Mozart boring, you’re not paying attention.

4. THIS is boring and repetitive, as well as tedious.

5. A talented film maker.

6. Richard,

What composer from 1750-1800 is Mozart’s superior? I suspect you also find Gluck and Haydn ‘simplistic and predictable’?

7. Benjamin Gordon says:

Very cool – thanks for posting – what a heartfelt and respectful gesture to W.T.A. I wish the current generation of stage directors would show the same respect for Mozart.

8. George Gluek says:

Sort of amusing once. . . but pointless.

9. 20 seconds of this was enough for me!

10. Miles Golding says:

No I don’t, so I won’t. I’ll go and practice my part of K406, which we’re playing on Sunday – with oboe on 1st vln. What an astonishing piece this is (C minor 5tet) – nothing simplistic and predictable there.
    But thanks anyway Norman!

11. Patrick Gundry-White says:

N o, I don’t find Mozart at all boring, but I do find this “Mozart’s House” tedious, boring and pointless in the extreme!

12. Roberto Gonzalez says:

I am disappointed… All the time spent on this is wasted, but then, I just sat though the fit of musical leprosy called “Les Miserables”… UGH

13. Ok, not really my thing, but much more creative and imaginative than anything I could have come up with myself.

As for Mozart? When I first started listening to classical music seriously (I was about 30) I found Mozart _very_ hard work. His musical world seemed much more remote from modern aesthetic norms than that of either his predecessors or his successors. (It’s something about the Classical/Enlightenment quest for balance and perfection of form, as against the search for transcendence/sublimity of both earlier and later composers, I guess.) One thing that helped me was listening to some old BBC “Discovering Music” broadcasts, especially one of Stephen Johnson’s on the Clarinet Concerto. Once I could begin to see at least one piece of Mozart’s instrumental music in dramatic terms, it began to make a bit more sense.