You saw it here first: Piotr Beczala does his Richard Tauber shtick

Tauber, so far as we know, never wore a pair of headphones. They would have knocked off his monocle.

But these nit-picks aside, the Polish tenor does have something of the ‘Dein ist mein Herz’ about him.

Just watch: it went online a few minutes ago.

piotr beczala2

Comments

1. Michael Varcoe-Cocks says:

A monocle is worn over an eye – headphones are worn over the ears. I am at a loss as to how one would interfere with the other!

2. Michael Varcoe-Cocks says:

More interesting – now I have listened to the clip – is what seems to me the rather less than fully idiomatic German when Mr Beczala sings! Perhaps a native German-speaker could comment.

• He speaks almost flawless German -
      many a German speaker could learn something from him.

His pronunciation is comparably good PLUS I can understand the words.
      (full disclosure: I’m Austrian)

• Rainer Klauss says:

As a native-born German now living in Alabama, and a longtime lover of Richard Tauber and operetta, I find Beczala’s singing, diction, and German excellent and articulate.

• His German is really almost perfect – as beaumont says above. His pronunciation and his grammar. He has only a very very slight accent.
      I know – I’m German. ;-)

3. Christian Elsner says:

As a native German-speaker AND tenor I can assure you that Piotr speaks/sings a wonderful German and to my opinion he is one of the greatest tenors at the moment!

4. Richard N says:

a bit too much vibretto on the upper notes, and where is the famous falsetto? That was a part of the great Richard Tauber, the darling of war-time British ladies!
    Otherwise delightful.

5. Different voices, different styles and definitely different tastes. The only thing that is common between Tauber and Beczala is that they are both tenors. I find the comparison is inapproprriate, even opportunistic.

A careful listening of the audio ( as Richard N detected )will show that Mr. Beczala cannot shade his voice and tha he already wobbles when forcing his high notes (i–i–i–i) in the relatively easy operetta passages.It is much more than a normal vibrato. Whether this comes from a vocal limitation or faulty technique, it is not a good sign for his future longevity

• Arthur Warren says:

George P, Having heard Piotr Beczala LIVE in performance, many times , your comments are inaccurate.
      No wobble , no forcing, normal beautiful vibrato. This is a special voice. Do not judge from recordings, go hear him LIVE………….

• Arhur W: Thanks for your kind reply. We do differ in our opinion- the point where vibrato becomes wobble is of course subjective but a young tenor with at least 10-15 years of good singing ahead of him should not sound (i=i=i=i) when he forces high notes. They should be his bread and butter. May I say that he had similar problems(hard tones, limited breadth ) in the recent Met Rigoletto. I will agree that the metal of his voice and all his midlle range is pleasant but this is not enough. For examples of the softer and refined singing that I miss in him let me refer you to Alfredo Krauss, Cesare Valletti and the young di Stefano. My best regards..

• G. Polyzoides: P. Beczala is 46 years old an since 20 years on stage.
          He sings on a high level, but nobody can sing every time on his own high level.
          I cannot hear in his singing too much vibrato like for example in the singing of J. Caleja.
          And what is about his Verdi, we can soon hear that: “Orfeo international” publishes in March this Year P. Beczalas Verdi-CD!

• Arthur Warren says:

George I say again. Hear him live. Kraus, yes wonderful, Valetti not in Piotr class, voice thinned on top.
          Young Stefano, Wide open top, cost him cost early on… Now mention Bjoerling, Wunderlich, now we have something very very special…Sorry to disagree…..

6. One of Polish poverbs says: “A man has not yet be born who would please everyone” … In my opinion it applies to last comments perfectly. This time German and Austrian audience’ opinions are most important:).

7. Marion Thiem says:

Very cute video. Was there really no opportunity, though, to mention Richard Tauber’s being chased away first from Germany and then from his (native) Austria by the Nazis? And that Lehar, nice as he might have been when Tauber was still in glory, was much less so when it was politically less “opportune” for him?
    Sorry to disturb the operetta charm, but I do believe to do justice to Richard Tauber includes commemorating the very difficult late part of his life.