It’s the biennial event that gave us Karita Mattila, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Bryn Terfel, Lisa Gasteen and, no, not Katherine Jenkins, but a lot of super losers like Nina Stemme who went on to make huge careers despite the Cardiff setback. Finalists were announced today for the contest, which takes place in June.
The local favourite is Gary Griffiths. i’m putting a canny fiver on one of my Facebook friends, the Egyptian Gala el Hadidi. Full list below.
- Argentina – Daniela Mack, Mezzo-soprano, 30
- Belarus – Yuri Gorodetski, Tenor, 30
- China – Yi Li, Tenor, 28
- Croatia – Marko Mimica, Bass-baritone, 25
- England – Katherine Broderick, Soprano, 30
- England – Ben Johnson, Tenor, 29
- Egypt – Gala El Hadidi, Mezzo-soprano, 30
- Hungary – Mária Celeng, Soprano, 24
- Italy – Loriana Castellano, Mezzo-soprano, 31
- Italy – Teresa Romano, Soprano, 28
- Lithuania – Eglė Šidlauskaitė, Mezzo-soprano, 29
- Poland – Michał Partyka, Baritone, 27
- Portugal – Susana Gaspar, Soprano, 31
- Russia – Alexey Bogdanchikov, Baritone, 27
- South Africa – Luthando Qave, Baritone, 26
- South Korea – Jeongcheol Cha, Bass-Baritone, 31
- South Korea – Kihwan Sim, Bass, 29
- Ukraine – Olena Tokar, Soprano, 25
- USA – Jamie Barton, Mezzo-soprano, 31
- Wales – Gary Griffiths, Baritone, 29
Here’s Gala at the Dresden New Year show, depping for Renee Fleming.