an blog | AJBlog Central | Contact me | Advertise | Follow me:

Venerated maestro steps up to conduct locked-out musicians

We’ve been informed that Stanislaw Skrowaczewski, who was Minneapolis/Minnesota’s music director for two decades from 1960-79, will conduct the orchestra in a concert on October 18, which would have been the season’s opening night.

Skrowacewski, who turned 89 last week, has all his moral priorities intact. It is an abiding shame that so few others conductors, active or emeritus, have demonstrated their sense of right and wrong in a series of conflicts that is mostly about bad management, and only peripherally about players’ wages.  Stan’s gesture will not be lost on the Minnesota public.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

  1. Norman,
    Thank you, as always, for posting this. Stan is a singularly amazing musician and a true leader.
    Cheers to you from Rochester,
    MP

  2. James Brinton says:

    Three cheers for Stanislaw Skrowaczewski, who understands that it’s the music that’s important!

  3. harold braun says:

    Bravo! A true maestro! By the way,former MSO music directors Edo de Waart and Sir Neville Marriner have joined Maestro Skrowaczewski in writing a public letter making a plea for the for the preservation of a world class music institution they helped to foster,develop and create in a very significant way! Bravi,Maestri!!!

  4. This is the most gracious gesture one could imagine. We love maestro Skrowaczewski!

  5. Jaya Daye says:
  6. Stuart Green says:

    Sack the management. When will they realise that without an orchestra they are redundant.

  7. Kevin Rogers says:

    And he’s conducting (twice) in London the following week, including Bruckner 7

  8. Where is this concert?

an ArtsJournal blog