Israel lobby’s anti-Obama ad has music by… whom?

This is an attack ad put out by the ‘Emergency Committee for Israel’ to persuade Jewish Democrats that Obama is their enemy.

Listen closely. Whose music is that on the soundtrack? Can he be played in Israel?

Comments

1. You really couldn’t make it up!!! LOL

(but that LA mayor whatsisname is really useless – he was on Christopher Meyer’s “networks of power” program and he does say “um er I guess” quite a lot)

2. In case Mr. Benjamin (above) doesn’t know (which seems to be the case) his name is Antonio Villaraigosa and he is one of the shining stars of the Democratic Party. The ad was made by the “Emergency Committee for israel, “a right wing, pro-Israel group made up of prominent neoconservative American Jews like William Kristol, Elliot and Rachel Abrams, as well as certain evangelical Christian types. Also, Sheldon Adelson, a multi-billionaire who made his money from gambling in Las Vegas, who is under investigation for illegal payoffs to Chinese officials as he tries to open a new mega-casino in Macao, is reputed to have put up much of the money for this group.

It is amazing how the conversation about Israel has morphed from one where giving back the land they stole from the Arabs in 1967 is now about making Jerusalem the capital and the West Bank being annexed into the original UN borders.

First the first time ever, the sovereign state Israel is now playing a direct role in American electoral politics.

By the way, I don’t recognize the music specifically,, but if I was a guessing man, I’d say it’s Wagner! If yes, the irony would be most satisfying.

• Robert Fitzpatrick says:

It sounds a lot like Siegfried’s Funeral Music by Liszt’s son-in-law. But there are also moments in various American films scored by John Williams with equally sinister rumblings. Unlikely that they would use music requiring royalty payments. Below is a freebie that uses the word Jerusalem liberally. They should try this (with the accompanying video!), And I still thought that Tel-Aviv was the capital.

In paradisum deducant te Angeli
      in tuo adventu,
      suscipiant te martyres,
      et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Jerusalem.
      Chorus angelorum te suscipiat,
      et cum Lazaro quondam paupere
      æternam habeas requiem

• Tel Aviv is no more the capital of Israel than New York is the capital of the United States. States define their own capitals, and in the case of Israel it is Jerusalem.

• Full Text of United Nations Resolution 478

The Security Council,
          Recalling its resolution 476 (1980),
          Reaffirming again that the acquisition of territory by force is inadmissible,
          Deeply concerned over the enactment of a “basic law” in the Israeli Knesset proclaiming a change in the character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem, with its implications for peace and security,
          Noting that Israel has not complied with resolution 476 (1980),
          Reaffirming its determination to examine practical ways and means, in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Charter of the United Nations, to secure the full implementation of its resolution 476 (1980), in the event of non-compliance by Israel,
          1. Censures in the strongest terms the enactment by Israel of the “basic law” on Jerusalem and the refusal to comply with relevant Security Council resolutions;
          2. Affirms that the enactment of the “basic law” by Israel constitutes a violation of international law and does not affect the continued application of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, in the Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied since June 1967, including Jerusalem;
          3. Determines that all legislative and administrative measures and actions taken by Israel, the occupying Power, which have altered or purport to alter the character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and in particular the recent “basic law” on Jerusalem, are null and void and must be rescinded forthwith;
          4. Affirms also that this action constitutes a serious obstruction to achieving a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East;
          5. Decides not to recognize the “basic law” and such other actions by Israel that, as a result of this law, seek to alter the character and status of Jerusalem and calls upon:
          (a) All Member States to accept this decision;
          (b) Those States that have established diplomatic missions at Jerusalem to withdraw such missions from the Holy City;
          6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Security Council on the implementation of the present resolution before 15 November 1980;
          7. Decides to remain seized of this serious situation.
          Adopted at the 2245th meeting by 14 votes to none, with 1 abstention (United States of America).

3. Galen Johnson says:

I imagine the music is some disgusting attempt to associate the President with anti-Semitism.

• Yes. Fearmongering is a key tactic among hard-nosed right-wingers. Ironic that the propaganda methods they use are those of some of the very regimes they would not only decry, but not have the guts to live in and stand up against.

A key rule about troublemakers is that they are always cowards. I have tackled many troublemakers in my time, in a range of settings and situations, including some very sophisticated troublemakers (the most dangerous kind: anyone can spot a violent troublemaker and take action). But I have never met or known of a troublemaker that wasn’t also a coward – at least in their troublemaking. Even the act of raising the ante is nothing more than trying to get people to comply with the troublemaker’s agenda (whether this be to back off from action – e.g. don’t bother voting – or to take action – e.g. if you do vote, vote in accordance with the fearmongering propaganda) by reaching their level of discomfort.

That’s what brinkmanship is about and we’re seeing quite a bit of this.
      Same principles: approach/avoidance; comfort/discomfort. But troublemaking is of course a subset of this: all troublemaking may be conceptualised as a variation on brinkmanship, but not all brinkmanship is troublemaking.

In the case of the current election, the brinkmanship has extended beyond the borders of the U.S., with deliberately timed and fomented crises abroad. This is brinkmanship way beyond the level of what is reasonable.

This is troublemaking. Dangerous troublemaking at that.

• You obviously don’t read newspapers. President Obama is pro-Arab and against Israel and so is Clinton. If it’s Arab appeasement you want, vote Obama. The Jews are once again fighting for their very existence and it’s people like you and Bob Burns that would ‘throw Israel under a bus’ which is what Obama has been accused of doing from every quarter – except of course the Marxist left.

The music, by the way is Wagner from the last opera of the ring cycle, Gotterdammerung – which couldn’t be more appropriate.

• Well, that’s what Republican strategists would have people believe. But of course it’s more complex than the simplistic caricature that Republican strategists portray. Obama and Clinton are Americans, who if crunch came to crunch, would support Israel.

But Obama and Clinton would prefer a peaceful outcome to a war-torn outcome.

The crisis escalation is deliberate, and deliberately fomented for the purpose of influencing the U.S. presidential election. I don’t live in the U.S., and like many people throughout the world, I pay attention to a range of media and can see for myself what is going on. As the saying goes, “blind Freddy” can see what’s going on.

Who was it that assassinated Yitzhak Rabin right on the cusp of a peaceful outcome with Arafat? Was it an Arab? No, it was a right-wing radical Israeli: a homegrown Jewish terrorist, who killed his own Prime Minister.

Similarly, it was Arabs who assassinated Anwar Sadat, the Egyptian president who negotiated a peace treaty with Israel.

I was saddened when Sadat was killed. But years later, I was gutted when Rabin was killed. I and every rational observer knew that the momentum for peace was instantly lost, possibly forever. And what was worse was that this was EXACTLY the intention behind the assassination, and people were buying into it!!!

Back then I could scarcely believe that people could be so collectively stupid. Nowadays there is no such thing for me as an unpleasant surprise: I’m only surprised when humans consistently do good to each other.

There was a real chance of a peace deal between Rabin and Arafat: these were two old warhorses who decided they’d had enough. The surest peace is often between those who have previously fought and had enough. It takes FAR more courage to make peace with your enemy than to pursue a mindless path of mutual destruction. But once Rabin was dead, there was no way Arafat was going to be able to face down hardliners in his own territory indefinitely. It was only a matter of time before it would all fall apart: those behind Rabin’s assassination knew that.

Ariel Sharon, another old warhorse, showed some calibre in his last days. By the time he took initiatives to create the groundwork upon which peaceful negotiations could proceed, his health was on the slippery slope to death. This was evident to those paying attention, and he knew that better than any observer.

So politically, Sharon no longer had anything to lose. He no longer had to worry about appeasing the radicals in his own nation, as he knew he might be dead soon. He could take the chance and face down the troublemakers in his own territory. Yes, I know he’s still alive on life support. But even if he pulls through, the moment is lost.

By analogy, I have been consistently saying here and elsewhere that there is one moment only that matters at present: that is the moment of what is possible on election day: prior to that, registration deadlines in each state. Once that moment is lost, any and all talkfests are irrelevant.

My favourite science writer, the late great Stephen Jay Gould, seemed in many ways paradoxical. Here was a paleontologist who was staunch proponent of evolutionary theory, an agnostic Jew who sang in a choir and preached religious tolerance, but stepped up to the plate when Creationists tried to impede science education. Richard Dawkins, who is much less tolerant, found Gould perplexing, but misses him now that he’s dead.

I don’t know that Obama or Clinton are anywhere near as complex as Gould – he was in a league of his own. But they have pursued tolerance where possible.

The Republican strategy is in fact very similar to that of Marxists: the end goal justifies the means. In this case, the end is cessation of Obama’s presidency, by hook or by crook.

• So, Tommo, you would seemingly enjoy a nuclear war between Israel and Iran. Then hopefully the US will be dragged into it. And what would be the outcome of that? Total destruction! “Götterdämmerung” indeed!!!!
        Foolish, arrogant Republicans. Thank God you are losing the election.

4. I guess that makes the Dems Hagen stabbing in the back Israel as Siegfried, which blows my mind all the more.

5. James Brinton says:

No doubt, it’s intentional given that it’s Wagner.
    Ironic that it’s from an opera that revolves around the end of a world, the death of heroes, and the inexorability of a one-percenter’s curse, though.
    Die Götterdämmerung might serve as a caution to those who created the ad.

6. The music is the funeral march from Gottedamerung by Wagner. It is one of the most majestic works in music. The ad is effective in implying a link between the nefarious nature of the far left and Obama’s policies. True or not – a soohisticated piece of advertising.

• Sophisticated indeed, as was some of the propaganda from the era of that boofhead Dolf-baby and his nasty Nazis. Ironic how people will decry hatred and persecution, yet take a leaf out of the book of fearmongering hatred when it suits them.

This election appears to be one of the most devious and dangerous in U.S. history. Some of the behaviours we see are in fact of a psychopathic nature – literally.

Hard-nosed right-wingers are well known to be consistently reliable voters.

There is only one answer. Moderate, reasonable people must register and vote. And those who care, and are able, must get out and facilitate the registration of moderate voters.

7. I wonder who is conducting? I hope it is Daniel Barenboim. If it isn’t I think DB will still cherish the irony.
    The video is such an unprofessional quality production, it is almost a spoof. Do you laugh or cry? I think I’ll laugh for the time being.

8. It’s Siegfried’s death and funeral march, from Gotterdammerung. As G. Johnson says, it’s most likely an attempt to associate Obama with anti-semitism through Wagner. As it is barely audible, it qualifies as a pretty hilarious, botched attempt at a smear.
    But let us imagine something less prosaic. This would require a heck of a lot of viewers to not only hear the music clearly, but to know exactly what’s going on in the relevant scene: the message is that the party (or the country) lies dead thanks to a backstabbing traitor. Even more sophisticated: while our country’s problems go unsolved, the President has the time to sit to some sixteen hours of opera?!
    As for me, my first thought was, hmmm, does Obama listen to Wagner? My kinda guy!

9. Joep Bronkhorst says:

Of course it’s Wagner. But I take it as a sign that this ludicrous boycott is finally being lifted, thank goodness. All hail Mr Barenboim and his noble efforts! By the way, if this really does sway a single American voter, I’ll eat my own head so I will.

10. Didn’t the nasty Nazis put out fearmongering propaganda against those whom they sought to persecute?
    So who are the dangerous people here?
    If people fall for this blindingly obvious bullshit, if they just can’t see through it, there is very little hope.

11. BRAVO.

12. José Bergher says:

The music is by Dick Wagner.

13. Wagner’s music has been aired on Israel’s Voice of Music for years, not a great deal of it and perhaps slipped by on the basis of its educational value. I don’t see what anti-Semitism has to do with recognizing Jerusalem as the capital or not. Most of the platforms in the Dem Convention as this one, were distractions from the real issues – the country going doing the fiscal drain – as TE Lawrence wrote, “a sideshow of a sideshow”.

14. The whole political process has morphed into something so awful and outrageous.

Not only Wagner, but Siegfried’s Funeral Music!
    No doubt about the message.

Horrible and frightening.

15. The most disturbing part of the advertisement is its falsity.

Obama requested Jerusalem language be reinserted into the platform and it was. Obama and the Democratic Party recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

• @ Janey So why don’t they move the Embassy to Jerusalem? There is a Consulate for the West and one for East Jerusalem. So there’s even an implicit division here.

• @CJ

This is not my field and I have no idea. I only know that I saw the report that Obama had the Jerusalem wording inserted, and therefore, the ad, which focuses on the platform wording, is completely false.

• @Janey Both sides should attend to the real, most pressing, monstrous problems – the ECONOMY!!!. Frm 1950, all administrations tacitly kept the US Embassy in Tel Aviv even after passing the Jerusalem Embassy Act in 1995 that was supposed to be implemented by May 1999. But it’s really no big deal. In fact, it’s more important to provide adequate security (Obama was warned) for already existing embassies and consulates.

• uh… because all countries have their embassy in Tel Aviv, pursuant to UN resolutions…

16. If anyone doubts Obama’s stance with regard to Israel they should read his book “Audacity of Hope” where he writes “I will always side with Islam if the winds of war change, America will never be at war with Islam.”

• @Tommo.
      Page number please.
      And full paragraph quotation.

• I know what you’re up to. I give you chapter and verse then you say “It was taken out of context”.

Actually you don’t need to read his book to find out that he is pro-Islam. He often repeats “we will never be at war with Islam” in his speeches which are widely reported in the American press.

• So the ‘quote’ isn’t in his book. Got that, thanks. Now, can you provide a link to a speech where this other quote is please?

• So YOU want to be at war with islam ? That’s a correct political agenda ?

• Don’t ask. He doesn’t have the book.

• Ja. I figured that pretty quickly. When you’ve been around a bit, you can tell when people are just trying to stir the pot.

17. To me the message of the propaganda clip is, that if Obama wins the election, he will share the fate of Siegfried, just like JFK did…

• Robert Fitzpatrick says:

I don’t know if this comment expresses a personal opinion or a possible interpretation of this campaign video or both, and I certainly support freedom of speech and the right of the editor to publish this remark. The addition of the reference to JFK pushes this statement beyond what I consider appropriate for a blog about the arts and music. I was personally shocked and disappointed to see this here, no matter what the author’s intent.

• Robert Fitzpatrick says:

PS: I realize that this isn’t a campaign video from the candidates but from an Israeli group that doesn’t support Obama.

• What exactly bothers you with my reference to JFK?

• Robert Fitzpatrick says:

I guess it’s too realistic and ominous. If my reaction is a problem, I will ask Norman to take down my last three (including this one) comments. I assume that I’m alone in my interpretation.

• @ Robert Fitzpatrick – I found the comment shocking, also. I do not believe the video is promoting or condoning assassination and I don’t understand the JFK reference.

• If you find my comment about the horrific reality shocking, I wonder what reality itself does to you.

• @Robert Fitzpatrick. You are as entitled to your reaction and opinion as the rest of us are.

You are right that there is an ominous element to all this.

That is precisely what Realist, and I, have indicated. There is nothing explicit, but there is an agenda, which I’ve seen before. I don’t know what Realist’s background is, and it’s none of my business. But I know how very well how certain incitement tactics work. I have personal and past professional experience in dealing with them. Our public comments are essentially all that’s needed for relevant agencies to do their background checking, and that’s all that matters. One of the problems with risk management and aversion, is that you often don’t know when you have averted a problem: you only get to know when you didn’t – again, I know about this very very well, as it was once my role.

• It is related to the Republican campaign. It’s just not explicit. And the concern that Realist expressed is very real, and should be stated wherever it needs to be stated, for a number of reasons. When wrongdoing is afoot, as it is in this campaign, what is more wrong is to be silent about it.

18. Hugo van den Berg says:

It’s a common myth that embassies have to be in capitals. In countries where the seat of government is different from the capital, embassies tend to be located in the former.