Which idiot PR set the scummy Sun on a glorious violinist?

The Scottish Sun has published an interview with Nicola Benedetti – an article replete with sexual innuendos, sexist deprecations and social envy.

I am not going to quote a word of it. You can read the scum here.

But next time Rupert Murdoch talks all hifalutin about democracy, choice and freedom of information, remember that at heart all he’s about is get ‘em out.

Meantime, someone fire that PR.

Comments

1. Ben Byram-Wigfield says:

Clicking on the link will only bring The Sun more revenue in advertising. Just ignore it, and it will go away.

2. Rosana Martins says:

I never read so much nonsense about a so called classical musician!

• Joep Bronkhorst says:

Quite: ‘I like Lana Del Rey. She has a good voice.’

Biggest loan of nonsense ever! Judge for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zrvD-o8cII

• Iain Scott says:

So called? I think not. Nicola Beneditti is an excellent musician and violinist,furthermore she spends a good amount of time as teacher and mentor for The Big Noise project- Scotland’s version of El Sistema.
      Get your facts right or do do you work for the Sun?

3. paula brochu says:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I had noticed a trend, when Facebook became a popular promotional vehicle for classical musicians, that women in particular, but also *some* men, were relying on seductive and suggestive poses for profile pictures and promotional shots. What a sad statement about the direction classical music feels it needs to go. How emancipated can we ever feel as women if the trends are moving toward and supportive of such blatant sexism? Aren’t we supposed to be an enlightened, evolving species?

Dear Classical Musicians:

We all may have our share of physical attributes, but that doesn’t mean that everyone who sees us wants us to serve them up on a plate. And those who want us to… well, you can form your own opinions about them.

Kudos to those of you who stand your ground, and don’t allow bottom-feeders like this PR person (no pun intended) to influence you. It just makes you look desperate. Let your music do the talking.

• “Dear Classical Musicians:
      Please just say no. Promotion via sex has permeated our society. Please allow classical music to remain an oasis from this meat market. Do not let photographers or PR people talk you into this being necessary. Guess what? You may have great breasts, but honestly, we are actually attending performances because you have talent.”

Such a nice thought, yet certainly ten or more years too late. Haven’t you noticed that hardly any young soloist or conductor has stood a chance in this field whose looks wouldn’t allow her or him at least a part time occupation as a model? So the boulevard press here is merely picking up on a trend that has been initiated by the classical music industry itself. Could you really imagine for instance a young Alfred Brendel having a carreer these days just based on nothing but his outstanding talent? No way.

• Victoria Clarke says:

I suppose the interviewer is confusing her with Vanessa Mae, and expected her to get her bum out, and strike some pole dancing poses, cause that’s what classical violinists do.

• In any case, haven’t you noticed- a lot of people are doing quite well from the whole ‘sex is fashionable’ thing at the moment…Especially in classical music… *Spem in Alium* (And yes- I did very nearly type that wrong!!!!)

• I don’t see what she did wrong. She gave a perfectly articulate interview, from what I could tell, rejecting his stupid comments. He’s the scum.

4. paula brochu says:

(If you don’t want to give them a click by reading the Sun piece, visit my Facebook Page and read it there.)

5. Reading that article, I felt disgusted and sorry for her to have that creep next to her.

6. Iain Scott says:

What’s that saying? Never get into a fight with a skunk- you end up stinking and they are still a skunk

7. …and to top it all off, the journalist even got the title of the album wrong, forgetting the instrument she plays, quoting it as “The Silver Moon” rather than “The Silver Violin”. Gah!

8. Correction – the online edition has the correct album title – but the print edition didn’t.

9. Murdoch and his evil empire are the opposite of everything that classical music stands for, which is, of course, why no classical musician with a shred of principle EVER allows their work to be shown on Sky Arts or quotes reviews of their work printed in the Times or Sunday Times.

Fetch the smelling salts; I feel faint..!

10. Silvio Interlandi says:

Nothing more frustrating and irritating than clueless mediocrity.

11. Just had a look – only two comments. Doubt if the morons are bothering to read it.

12. if you agree to do an interview with the Sun you shouldn t expect any other questions than these.

• Joep Bronkhorst says:

I agree; also, the interviewer probably talked to her about music for an hour, then dropped those two questions in at the very end, in a manner of ‘it’s The Sun so I have to ask this, ha ha’.

There’s no such thing as bad publicity and Nicola did herself no harm at all in her perfectly intelligent and articulate responses. I don’t believe potential ticket-buyers will be put off a Benedetti concert because of this interview.

13. There is so much condemning of the interviewee here – the woman who happens to be the victim of these disgusting comments. The problems are the paper and the writer. She simply gave an interview.

14. Victoria Clarke says:

So, all she has to do now is not have sex with Wayne Rooney, and she’s got it made….

15. Daniel Rye says:
  16. Dr. Marc Villeger says:

« Couvrez ce sein que je ne saurais voir. »
    Par de pareils objets les âmes sont blessées,
    et cela fait venir de coupables pensées. (Tartuffe, acte III, scène II, vers 860-862)

17. I wrote to him, telling him he is a sexist, chauvanist, puerile fool. He replied:

“Mr Withers
    Can I deduce you’re not a fan of my work then?
    Or is it you think your genre should not be shared with a wider audience?
    Thanks for your email anyway, the points are duly noted.
    Best
    Matt
    matt.bendoris@the-sun.co.uk

I think, for one, that he actually believes classical music to be a “genre” of music. Oh dear. Oh dear me, on all fronts.

Donald.