Phantom airport pianist strikes again – next stop, Heathrow?

Ever since Ingrid Fliter found a concert grand in the airport at Minneapolis, no air terminal has been safe from her flying fingers.

Today she flew into Amsterdam. Here’s what happened.

Comments

1. Michael P. Scott says:

Ms. Fliter is a particular favorite of mine and it drives me NUTS to see so many people passing her by, à la Joshua Bell in the DC subway.

You’d think the guy sleeping, shoeless, in the overstuffed chair to the piano’s right might have noted something.

Sigh…

I look forward to seeing/hearing many more performances and thanks, Ingrid, for doing this.

MPS

2. Dr. Marc Villeger says:

Indeed I have noticed most airports have a perfectly located grand piano… next, railway stations, metro corridors or even concert halls.

3. Laura Stephens says:

With all due respect to the talent and generosity of this pianist (I’d have loved 10 minutes of relaxing music), this AIRPORT is huge and the initial port of entry for many to Europe which means passing through customs and security. Travelers unfamiliar with this airport will often have only time to get to connecting flights. On a recent trip, I thought an hour and a half would have afforded time to have coffee and a potty stop, but the hordes ahead of and behind us made it clear we had to watch the road signs (indicating 20 minutes walk to our target concourse, for example) and keep on humping along.

4. Fennell says:

this reminds me…. there was for some time a old concert grand on the street at Columbus Circle in NYC, in the mid to late 90′s. There was a homeless man who pushed it around and often played bits of Mozart or Bach there.
    and, I remember playing the Prelude and Fugue in C major WTC 1 on an upright abandoned on Black Friars Bridge in London after a street music festival several summers ago.

5. Maria Grazia says:

Ingrid, fantastica!!! :)

6. Vivian says:

Oh wow … I love it … it would soothe any anxious traveler … can you identify the piece? :)

7. rob u.k says:

Airports have become such stressfull places now wiiht security rushing around and safety issues how wonderfull to have such calming wonderfull music being played and so beautiffully.
    I think every airport throughout the world should have a grand piano with player to sooth away the stresses of travel.
    Brilliant love it love it loveit and such talent well done this young lady keep playing.

8. nikola olic says: