AJ Logo an ARTSJOURNAL weblog | ArtsJournal Home | AJ Blog Central

« We Must Imagine Sisyphus Happy | Main | Attention Deficit Day »

July 25, 2007

Sugar Kane

Amusing juxtaposition of scenes from Some Like It Hot with a cut from Dirty, the last album by Sonic Youth that I really like. The matchup of song and movie probably turns on a coincidence, but it clicks. And Marilyn Monroe is smoking. Any argument about whether this is her best movie?

Posted by smclemee at July 25, 2007 7:01 PM

COMMENTS

Dunno, Scott. Bus Stop is pretty good... and MM carries a bit more of it.

Posted by: richard at July 26, 2007 10:55 AM

Thanks, a worthy challenge. I'll go back to that one before long and see.

Posted by: Scott McLemee at July 26, 2007 11:17 AM

Oh yeah, works for me too. 'Sfunny, though. One thinks of rock 'n' roll as all driving, propulsive forward motion and yet in the video, they repeatedly have to slow down the footage of the musicians (especially the female drummer) to make the images synch up with the song's beat.

As for MM in Hot vs. MM in Stop: Those last two dresses she wears in Hot -- the see-throughy black number and the see-throughy spangler -- those are two of the steamier pieces of fabric ever worn in a major Hollywood release.

As for Ranter, 'sfunny, too. He must spend a lot of time reading Quick Study in order to dismiss it as a waste of time.

Posted by: book/daddy at July 26, 2007 4:00 PM

I should explain that "Ranter" refers to a troll whose comment has been deleted.

Posted by: Scott McLemee at July 26, 2007 5:48 PM

I love Some Like It Hot, and she's a total dish in it, but I also think she does something absolutely brain-singeing in those few moments she occupies of All About Eve. There's nothing like her strangely inflected, already too-wise, and riveting delivery of the line "I don't want to make trouble. All I want is a drink."

Posted by: Emily Gordon at July 31, 2007 6:41 PM