AJ Logo an ARTSJOURNAL weblog | ArtsJournal Home | AJ Blog Central

« A Modest Example of the Dwindling Forces of Cognition Under Late Capitalism | Main | The Rise of Fordism »

March 27, 2007

Argument! Character Assassination! Breasts!

Every once in a great while, something I've written gets picked up by what might be called -- not entirely oxymoronically -- the "mainstream blogosphere." The latter seems to be very much a star system made up of people who are partisans of one of the two major political parties. That rules me out a priori.

For that matter, I don't even have much of a role in left-wing blogchat, ever since the dissolution of the Vanguard Workers Revolutionary Marxist-Leninist Labor Party USA (Bolshevik-Reconstructed). As some of you may recall, I was the Central Committee member responsible for Proletarian Hammer newspaper, as well as being the party's one cadre. The meeting where I expelled myself was bitter and scarring.

Most of what happens in the mainstream blogosphere passes me right by, and it seems that I have missed many the tempest. What, for example, was the "Jessica Valenti Breast Controversy"?

I have no idea. And in fact I am totally okay with having no idea. Don't feel obliged to submit an exposition or appropriate link, thanks. Yet it seems that Jessica Valenti Breast Controversy has now led, in turn, to the following extraordinary meltdown at BloggingHeads TV (a site my friend Henry Farrell has been involved with) and so it must be of truly great significance, in certain teapots anyway.

The woman on the left is named Garance Franke-Ruta, and the one on the right is named Ann Althouse. Both are, it would appear, major figures in the mainstream blogosphere. All I can say is that this exchange makes me want to rejoin the VWRMLLPUSA(B-R).

Posted by smclemee at March 27, 2007 10:16 AM

COMMENTS

Gads, man! I'm having lunch with Kevin Drum today, so I'm glad I saw this. Now I'll have something mainstreamy to talk about. (As you well know, I don't do a very good job of keeping abreast of developments in the mainstream blogosphere, and when I try to participate, my sense of humor, well, it doesn't translate.)

Posted by: Scott Eric Kaufman at March 27, 2007 11:46 AM

If you're really interested, you could get a good start here and here.

Only if you're really interested, of course. It was quite the tempest at the time.

Posted by: Jonathan Dresner at March 27, 2007 4:45 PM

Wow. Sign me up, but let it be noted that these two are like 432nd up against the wall when the VWRMLLPUSA(B-R) revolution comes.

Posted by: Anthony Paul Smith at March 27, 2007 6:53 PM

This was all about a photo of women posing with Clinton??

"Tempest in a C-cup" comes to mind, although not having seen the original photo and never having met Ms. Valenti, one hesitates to make such a guess and immediately feels the need to apologize. I will deny writing any of this.

Which brings up a key Stalinist-brushing-out-the-Politburo-in-state-photos issue: Althouse no longer runs the offending image. As the secretary-treasurer (are your dues paid up?) for the Vanguard Workers Revolutionary Marxist-Leninist Labor Party USA (Re-constructed East Dallas sub-division), I shall make a formal request to see said image.

Because that has to be some photo, right? To, like, cause all this.

Posted by: book/daddy at March 28, 2007 9:10 AM

Okay, now I have a dim recollection of the incident. If memory serves, no, there was nothing special about the photo in question.

The episode and its aftermath are typical of the kind of decadence thoroughly denounced in my final report as General Secretary of the VWRMLLPUSA(B-R). To which, as I recall, I gave a standing ovation.

Posted by: Scott McLemee at March 28, 2007 10:38 AM

The meeting where I expelled myself was bitter and scarring.
LOL! Funny....

Posted by: -asx- at March 29, 2007 1:00 AM

If memory serves, the original photo is here (second one down).

Posted by: Jonathan Dresner at March 29, 2007 5:59 AM

With your credentials, you should be writing for the WAAGNFNP.

Posted by: The Constructivist at April 1, 2007 3:06 PM